The position of Counsel – Complex Litigation is responsible for managing and coordinating activities related to the defense of commercial litigation matters (both class and individual actions) and the pursuit of claims on behalf of General Motors LLC and its various affiliates (collectively, "GM"). Examples include consumer and other class action, actions arising out of the myriad of contractual arrangements to which GM is a party, intellectual property litigation, dealer disputes and an exceptionally broad range of other sophisticated litigation and pre-litigation matters (but not product liability or employment litigation). Experience with electronic discovery and document retention issues also desired. Counsel will participate in the selection of outside counsel, will establish and manage a budget for each matter, and will work closely with outside counsel in the handling of each matter. Counsel will also work closely and collaborate with GM's legal leadership to accomplish department goals. Counsel will also support a culture of legal compliance, integrity and excellence through his/her work and will serve as a critical component in the GM Legal Staff's effective and efficient resolution of disputes.
Subject Matter Requirements:
- Ensure new matters are properly entered into the GM case management system including required TREAD data and litigation hold information.
- Assign outside counsel based on nature of claims/defenses, geographic location, fee arrangement and GM policies.
- Work with outside counsel on the development of legal strategies and execution.
- Understand the business objectives at issue and advise the business on best strategies.
- Work with discovery team on responses to discovery and document collection and review.
- Timely review case evaluations, briefs and motions submitted by outside counsel.
- Determine settlement value or trial recommendations for specific cases within established processes.
- Coordinate selection of litigation consultants, expert witnesses, and trial counsel.
- Work with outside counsel on deposition preparation and trial preparation.
- Attend company witness deposition preparation and depositions.
- Review and process legal bills for counsel in assigned system and ensure that matters are managed within budget.
- Provide advice and counsel to other GM Legal teams and business groups as needed.
- Track legal trends and key developments in the area of complex commercial litigation
As a member of the GM Legal Staff, Counsel will strive to be a role model for the Company by delivering high performance legal services with high integrity. The GM Legal Staff's objectives are to deliver timely, best-in-class business advisory and legal services in close collaboration with business partners to accomplish their objectives while simultaneously protecting GM's high standards of legal, ethical, and financial integrity. Each member of the Legal Staff, including Counsel, is expected to adhere to these standards:
- Workplace and Product Safety
- Compliance & Ethics
- Strategic Partnering
- Responsive & Accountable
- Real-time Transparency and Communication
- Superior Work Product Quality
- Strong Work Ethic
- Controlling Costs
- Company and Industry Knowledge
- Community Involvement and Professional Development
Qualifications & Experience:
- 4-8 years of substantive experience as a commercial litigation attorney. Prior in-house experience desired but not required.
- Experience must include acting as a primary attorney handling all aspects of sophisticated individual and class actions, including the following:
- Preparation of answers, motions, and case evaluations.
- eDiscovery, including overseeing document collection and production.
- Taking and defending fact and expert depositions.
- Arguing substantive motions.
- Trial experience in complex commercial litigation cases in both federal and state court preferred.
- Experience in automotive litigation preferred.
- Ability to interact with individuals throughout the organization, outside counsel and other advisors in a professional and business-like manner, including to collaborate, build relationships, and gain credibility.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously from inception to completion and achieve goals.
- Ability to present information, cases, and analyses timely, clearly, and concisely.
- Detail-oriented, analytical, technical, yet flexible, self-motivated, and big-picture minded.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Commitment to high standards of quality and ethics.
- Proven ability to act as a guardian through speaking up to say what needs to be said, providing complete, direct, and actionable feedback to others, faces up to problems quickly and directly, shares all key information with management to enable them to make well-informed decisions.
- Enthusiasm to work as part of a highly functioning Complex Litigation team to defend the company and pursue claims on its behalf.
- Undergraduate and law degrees from accredited institutions
- Admitted to practice in at least one jurisdiction in the United States and, if not admitted in Michigan, the ability to qualify for in-house counsel status in Michigan