This position is responsible for providing legal support across the organization and to all levels of the Company with emphasis on supporting the Mazda Toyota Manufacturing US joint venture. The position will be responsible for numerous and diverse assortment of contracts and commercial matters, including the drafting, reviewing, and negotiating of such contracts, along with providing appropriate advice to business personnel in connection with those contracts.
- Provides advice and assistance to all levels of management, including executive level, engaged in developing a wide variety of contracts, including supplier contracts, manufacturing and licensing agreements, consignment agreements, facility/building leases, construction agreements, transportation and logistics agreements, and other commercial contracts and legal documents.
- Direct involvement and primary responsibility for the negotiation and drafting/review of assigned contracts, from the simplest to the most complex.
- Substantial amount of work in connection with the purchasing of production and service parts, equipment, and tooling.
- Additionally, prepares other legal documents including those related to licensing and regulatory matters.
- Works with finance and purchasing to manage the entire supplier contract lifecycle from NDA to purchase order and maintain the integrity of the Company approval process
- In coordination with other employment attorneys at MNAO, support legal compliance with employment matters for a workforce in a manufacturing environment, including workplace conditions and OSHA compliance.
Strong academic record, including Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university and a Juris Doctorate (J.D.) from an American Bar Association accredited law school.
State Bar of California qualified; California license to practice law or Registered In-House Counsel designation by State Bar of California.
Minimum of eight (8) years of relevant work experience as an attorney in a law firm and/or in-house legal department (in-house experience highly desired).
Preferred but not required:
- Previous experience supporting a manufacturing operation.
- Familiarity with Incoterms, antitrust principles and product liability risk allocation provisions.
- Ability to make substantive decisions and plan, organize, and manage assigned functions in effective, efficient, and timely manner with limited supervision.
- The collection of responsibilities for which this position is responsible requires the holder of this position to possess diverse subject matter expertise and to exercise significant independent judgment and decision making.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to draft, review, and negotiate contracts with a wide variety of subject matters and complexity, some under tight time constraints.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; prepare clear and concise memoranda and correspondence.
- Establish and maintain effective positive relationships with Mazda business personnel, outside counsel, and Mazda business partners.
- Ability to identify issues, both business and legal, identify and gather relevant information, conduct legal research, and draw valid conclusions and provide accurate, effective and prompt legal advice.