Reporting into and working closely with the Head of Corporate Strategy/Chief Legal Officer and the Senior Vice President Legal & Regulatory, the Associate will support a wide variety of internal and external facing legal matters and strategic initiatives across Brookfield’s global asset management franchise.
Capital Markets Activities & Securities Regulation
- Manage the execution of debt and equity securities offerings and other capital markets and securities-based transactions
- Review and approve of contractual agreements within the Brookfield corporate group, such as credit facilities and trading agreements
- Assist with the preparation and review of Brookfield’s corporate disclosures including press releases, management information circulars, annual information forms, annual reports, and quarterly financials
- Assist in maintaining and monitoring trading protocols for Brookfield and associated entities
- Support the Corporation’s Treasury department, including the implementation of ISDA-based transactions and related protocols
- Prepare and coordinate securities filings on the TSX and NYSE
- Work directly with the Head of Corporate Strategy/Chief Legal Officer on strategic initiatives across Brookfield’s asset management activities, including growth initiatives, strategic acquisitions, and product development.
Legal and Corporate Compliance
- Provide strategic legal advice on developments in Canadian laws as they impact Brookfield’s businesses and act as a legal resource on Canadian securities law matters for the organization
- Responsible for legal research and preparation of internal memorandums on legal matters relevant to the Corporation’s activities
- Prepare, review, and revise Brookfield contracts, including non-disclosure agreements
- Assist with managing and monitoring and improving processes for the Corporation’s global regulatory and other filings (e.g., antitrust filings, CFIUS, FERC)
- Respond to internal and external stakeholder inquiries regarding corporate legal matters
- Manage Brookfield-related litigation, directing external counsel as necessary and providing strategic advice internally on how to effectively address litigation
- Be called to the Bar in Ontario or equivalent in another Canadian jurisdiction, or New York
- Have a minimum of 4-6 years’ post call experience as a lawyer familiar with securities, preferably gained at a major law firm and/or within the in-house legal department of a large publicly traded corporation
- Familiarity with Canadian and U.S. securities law is an asset
- Strong communication skills: ability to present clearly and offer practical advice
- Self-motivated and proactive; eager to take ownership and able to advance work independently
- Team-oriented; demonstrates a commitment to shared success
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to develop collaborative relationships at all levels in the organization
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills combined with attention to detail and thoroughness
- Excellent organizational skills to effectively manage priorities while meeting timelines
This position is based in Toronto, Canada and may require some travel, from time to time, dependent upon project/transaction dynamics.
This position would be suitable for those candidates who meet the role qualifications and who thrive in a performance-driven environment that emphasizes employee leadership and accountability for delivering results.