Hi, we're Oscar. We’re hiring a Counsel, Associate Director to join our Legal team in our California office.
Oscar is a venture-backed insurance company focused on one mission – to be a health insurance company centered around the individual, engaging members and guiding them to the right care. Oscar provides better tools and resources to make it easier and more seamless for members to access high-value care and to navigate the complex health care system. Join a team of 1600 of the most talented, experienced, and mission-driven individuals from the halls of technology, health care, politics, design, and data in service of the Oscar mission.
About the role:
As health plan Counsel, you will be a key member of the Legal team responsible for providing leadership and guidance on regulation applicable to Oscar’s business. We currently operate in the individual market (both on-and off-exchange) in fifteen states, the small group market in four states, and the Medicare Advantage market. We’ve also joined with Cigna to launch an exciting small group product. We anticipate further geographic expansion and new product offerings.You should be comfortable in an ever changing environment as we continue to grow!
You will report into the Associate General Counsel.
- Partner with various teams to provide strategic and legal guidance on a range of regulatory matters, including state and federal Exchange requirements, HIPAA/state privacy law; the FTC Act and similar state consumer protection and advertising laws; ERISA; and MHPAEA. Experience with pharmaceutical and/or out-of-network rules is a plus!
- Provide thought leadership on regulatory and industry developments, including the proactive identification and assessment of regulatory risks and the ongoing monitoring and tracking of relevant regulatory updates.
- Analyze and distill complex legal issues into easily understandable content so operations teams and key stakeholders across Oscar can move corporate goals and objectives forward.
- Provide legal advice on new and existing policies and procedures to ensure Oscar’s compliance with applicable state and federal law.
- Partner and work collaboratively with federal and state regulators and government agencies.
- Work with minimal supervision on multiple, simultaneous and diverse assignments while adhering to deadlines and managing competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Support cross-training, problem-solving, and knowledge development across Oscar.
- J.D. from an ABA accredited law school
- 4+ years of professional, legal experience
- You’re licensed to practice law in California as a licensed attorney or as licensed in-house counsel, or are able to obtain such licensure shortly after hire
- Experience with the health insurance regulatory landscape in California
- Experience leading cross-functional initiatives with a variety of stakeholders
- Experience translating regulatory requirements into business initiatives
- Experience with DMHC and/or CDI