Provide legal counsel in a portfolio of key corporate and industry legal issues with focus on compliance, intellectual property, litigation, and contracts. Work product shall display thorough knowledge and practical understanding of the oil and natural gas industry and API’s mission, goals and processes; imagination, accuracy and completeness, while meeting applicable deadlines and client needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Vice President & Deputy General Counsel, for Compliance and Litigation and other management team members as appropriate, with matters pertaining to general corporate and program compliance (such as economic sanctions and antitrust), intellectual property, and commercial contracts, and other issue areas as assigned.
- Oversee and coordinate the effective and efficient use of outside counsel as needed.
- Provide timely counsel and strategic advice on assigned corporate, litigation, and API program management issues as requested by the Chief Legal Officer, Deputy General Counsel, Senior Counsel, and any assigned client groups.
- Enforce API’s intellectual property rights by managing, directing and engaging in litigation or other non-judicial proceedings worldwide (in-house or through use of outside counsel as appropriate) within assigned subject matter areas.
- Participate in development of industry programs and standards within assigned subject matter areas. Work with designated API staff and committees on issue and strategy development, consensus gathering, conflict resolution, and coalition-building with other organizations, etc.
- Consistently demonstrate thorough knowledge and practical understanding of the oil and natural gas industry, API’s mission, goals and processes, and skills necessary to effectively carry out duties.
- Consistently make decisions that are timely, well-considered and effectively implemented.
- Successfully set goals and priorities to accomplish tasks and complete assignments thoroughly, on schedule and within budget.
- Accept responsibility and accountability for performance and interact effectively with all stakeholders involved in projects or issues.
- Exhibit initiative to willingly identify challenges, take on increased responsibility/workload, and develop networks/alliance both inside and outside the Institute.
- Law degree from ABA accredited law school with 5+ years’ legal experience.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn new legal and business areas and provide accurate advice with confidence.
- Experience advising on sanctions compliance, copyright and trademark enforcement, or antitrust issues strongly preferred.
- Litigation and administrative law experience a plus.
- Must possess and be able to demonstrate a high level of independent judgment, with some supervision, while cooperating with other API staff.
- Ability to prioritize work assignments, manage and communicate deadlines to involved parties, and operate independently.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills are essential.
- Ability to project credibility to clients, government officials, the media and the public required.