The Counsel will provide a wide range of legal counsel and expert advice to the Company and its affiliates.
- Provide counsel and advise on complex insurance regulatory matters in connection with property & casualty insurance and conduct research on and respond to legal questions from business units involving insurance and reinsurance
- Handle insurance and reinsurance transactional matters involving reviewing, drafting and negotiating contracts pertaining to insurance agents, managing general agents, and third party administrators
- Assist in coordination of responses to market conduct inquiries, data calls and consumer complaints and act as legal resource in the review of potential regulatory fines and penalties
- Monitor legal and regulatory developments and communicate to appropriate business units
- Review, draft and negotiate complex commercial contracts relating to general business transactions, including but not limited to confidentiality agreements, software licensing agreements, real estate and procurement agreements
- Evaluate legal risk issues that stem from commercial agreements, including indemnification, insurance, liability limitation, privacy, data protection and information security
- Provide legal services in other areas of law, act as backup for other attorneys as necessary or requested from time to time and participate in special projects as requested
- Law degree with minimum of 8+ years of legal experience with an insurance company or law firm that focused on property and casualty insurance law and regulation is required
- Bar admission or corporate counsel license is required
- Extensive knowledge and expertise in the areas of complex commercial contracts, including but not limited to software licensing agreements, confidentiality agreements, purchase and leasing agreements, real estate law, trademark and copyright laws, and insurance/reinsurance law is required.
- Must be a self starter with the ability to work independently as well as in a team environment and with minimum supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and a fine attention to detail
- Experience in communicating with insurance departments and regulatory agencies is required
- Strong negotiation, communication, influencing and teamwork skills is required
- Must be able to interact effectively with senior management, outside counsel, internal and external clients, and counterparties
- Ability to multi-task and demonstrate a sense of urgency while maintaining a passion for providing unparalleled client service
- Ability to professionally and confidentially participate in legal actions of a sensitive and complex nature is required
- Must be able to effectively and clearly convey legal principles, terminology and research techniques to paralegals to assist with their day-to-day training to enhance their knowledge, skills and experience level
Other Essential Functions:
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office products
- Ability to perform legal research and analysis
- Requires the ability to review, analyze and interpret complex legal issues