Primary Job Function
Seeking an experienced commercial attorney to provide legal advice to Abbott’s Nutrition Division. The position requires excellent legal and analytical capabilities, in conjunction with strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills. The attorney will be expected to identify and resolve complex legal issues to support the operations of a global leader in the research, development, manufacturing, sales and marketing of nutritional products to be consumed by infants, children and adults of all ages. The attorney will be responsible for providing legal counsel and helping the business identify and implement practical business solutions to achieve its goals.
- Draft, negotiate and review a wide range of agreements, including complex matters relating to licensing, marketing, co-promotion and research collaborations.
- Review marketing programs and promotional materials to ensure compliance with FTC truth-in-advertising principles, Abbott policies and applicable law.
- Advise and ensure that internal clients receive sound, practical and timely legal advice on a wide variety of legal matters related to operation of a commercial business that markets to both health care professionals, retailers and consumers.
- Work independently as the lead attorney on many matters and collaboratively with other attorneys on more significant matters.
- May lead significant projects, both within the legal department and across a variety of functions.
The successful candidate must possess the following:
- Juris Doctorate degree, state bar certification, at least 3-7 years of transactional legal experience.
- Record of success in drafting, negotiating and counseling clients on a range of transactions.
- Ability to work independently on complex and routine projects.
- Familiarity with U.S. laws relevant to sales and marketing of consumer products, such as advertising, antitrust, privacy, and healthcare compliance.-Familiarity with U.S. laws relevant to sales and marketing of products to health care professionals and reimbursement by government programs, including fraud & abuse, false claims, interactions with physicians and privacy.
- Interest and/or experience providing legal support to a global business that requires interaction with legal counsel and affiliates located outside of the U.S.
- FDA, food law or other relevant industry experience is a plus, but not required.
Minimum Experience / Training Required
- Generally 3+ years of relevant experience
- Developing proficiency in practice area