The Cost Production Estimator is responsible for the coordination, preparation and execution of the cost estimating process. This position plays a key, proactive role in evaluating a product’s cost effectiveness or profitability, while creating, sending and tracking all cost estimates and purchase orders. The Cost Production Estimator collaborates internally and externally in the coordination of the cost estimating process, and recommends ways to make a product more cost effective or profitable.
- Identifies and quantifies cost factors, such as production time, materials, and labor expenses.
- Attends product meetings and/or visit jobsites to gather information on materials needed, labor required, and other factors that affect costs.
- Reads blueprints and technical documents to prepare estimates.
- Collaborates with engineers, architects, clients, and contractors on estimates.
- Consults with industry experts to discuss estimates and resolve issues.
- Utilizes computer software to calculate estimates and generate reporting on findings.
- Evaluates product cost-effectiveness or profitability.
- Provides recommendations and deliverables on how to make products more cost effective or profitable.
- Works with sales teams to prepare estimates and bids for clients.
- Develops project plans for the duration of the project.
- Prepares estimates for clients and other business managers.
- Additional duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting or related field.
- Advanced degree (MBA, Master’s) preferred.
- 6+ years of previous cost estimating experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Occasional travel either locally, nationally, and/or internationally may be required.
- High degree of proficiency MS Office Suite, Outlook & Internet applications.
- Strong analytical, prioritizing, interpersonal, problem-solving, presentation, budgeting, project management (from conception to completion), & planning skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (including analysis, interpretation, & reasoning).
- Solid understanding and application of mathematical concepts.
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with peers and colleagues across the organization, as well as, internal and external clients.
- Ability to work well autonomously and within a team in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment.
- Ability to work with and influence peers and senior management.
- Self-motivated with critical attention to detail, deadlines and reporting.