About the Job:
As a Cost Engineering Program Manager you will have the chance analyze and dissect many of the amazing products offered by Stanley Black & Decker.
You will tear down products to determine the true costs of valuable components overlooked by daily users, becoming personally familiar with how some of the most exciting products in the Stanley Black & Decker portfolio are manufactured.
A Cost Engineering Program Manager is an integral part of SBD’s Global Supply Management organization that will be responsible for managing and implementing cost and value identifying initiatives across the SBD businesses.
These individuals will work with clean sheet based cost models and other innovative tools across raw materials, engineered components and finished goods within the SBD business.
With this detailed analytic work, they will work collaboratively with sourcing managers and business counterparts across multiple products to craft the most effective Supplier Engagement and Negotiation Strategy.
Key Responsibilities also include:
- Cost Modeling:
- Work with Commodity Managers, Engineers and Buying experts to utilize our SCBS (Supplier Cost Breakdown Sheet) to gather all elements of the supplier costs such as material, process, labor, tooling, machine data, overheads, profit, etc.
- Identify high cost assemblies and high spend individual components/sub-assemblies through review of product/part drawings and evaluation of Costed Bill of Material
- Build and maintain cost models for purchased products and components, with emphasis on mechanical components and purchased products
- Build and utilize other cost modeling tools such as Linear Performance Pricing (LPP), Total Cost modeling (TCO), CBOM comparison, etc.
- Develop methodologies and tools in support of GSMs Clean Sheet program
- Continuously enhance how all cost models are applied to raw materials, purchased components and purchased products.
- Support Negotiations:
- Engage collaboratively with sourcing managers to prepare Requests for Proposal (RFPs) for purchased components or products
- Provide insights into supplier's market dynamics by monitoring and reporting on market trends affecting sourcing leverages
- Identify gaps in sourced products/components costing and review with sourcing managers
- Craft negotiation strategies with sourcing managers and develop supporting negotiation decks
- Training Capability on Cost Modeling and other Core Modules
- Train and educate relevant SBD associates in clean sheet methodology and negotiations, with emphasis on building technical knowledge relevant to clean sheeting
- Help develop new training modules that will be delivered to GSM team and others
- Support Design To Value(DTV) and Value Analysis, Value Engineering (VAVE)
- Support Product Tear-Down Sessions with cross functional teams
- Organize with sourcing team Supplier Participation as required
- Develop the cost models on key components in product tear down prior to and during events.
- Present results and provide opportunities to DTV/VAVE teams
- Participate and eventually run VAVE’s as a part of core competence
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or other related technical field, preferably with a focus preferably in Manufacturing / Mechanical Engineering
- 5+ years engineering experience preferably focusing on the manufacturing and/or design of mechanical products (particularly with Design for Manufacturability focus)
- Experience working in the Global Supply Management Environment
- Lean and quality experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong understanding a various manufacturing operations and techniques such as machining, injection molding, die casting, forging, assembly and stamping
- Experience in product tear downs and/or VAVE’s
- Experience with Lean manufacturing and effects of manufacturing costs that are driven by product design
- Cost Estimation Knowledge - Knowledgeable of typical sources and costs for common components
- Program/Project Management Capability. Ability to drive and implement medium to larger scale projects
- Technical aptitude and ability to drive knowledge transfer in area of expertise
- Ability to work with multiple sources of data and assumptions, generate effective scenario and sensitivity analysis to test and refine estimates
- Understanding of Market Knowledge - Adept at understanding and communicating market dynamics of SBD suppliers
- Knowledge in source of Supply and potential suppliers
- Ability to challenge the status quo costing and work with sourcing team to bridge gaps and search for opportunities
- Ability to leverage existing manufacturing facilities, Service based cost structures and other outside facilities and Consultants portfolio to establish cost builds
- Strong Financial Acumen
- Strong Negotiation abilities, both internal and external
- Advanced experience in Microsoft Excel (macro, pivots, etc) and Microsoft Access
- Experience in CAD and PLM (Product Lifecycle Management software)