Corporate Tax Manager
Kennametal is seeking an income tax accounting professional to join the Corporate tax team. The manager of tax will serve a key role with income tax accounting, income tax compliance, tax planning strategies, and special projects such as reducing legal entity complexity, structuring transactions and maximizing tax efficiency. Reporting directly to the Director of Corporate Tax, this role will interface with Finance leadership, as well as leaders within the business.
Key Responsibilities of the position include:
- Manage all aspects of ASC 740Accounting forIncome Taxes. This includes:
- managing the process of calculating the year-end U.S. income tax provision and the global year-end effective tax rate
- calculating global interim effective tax rates
- managing the income tax accounting for stock based compensation
- developing required documentation of internal controls as required by the Sarbanes-Oxley legislation
- developing documentation to support income tax positions taken for financial statement purposes and documentation to support any liabilities recorded for uncertain tax positions
- providing guidance to non-U.S. subsidiaries for complying with ASC 740
- composing income tax disclosure for all SEC filings
- writing income tax bullet points for KMT earnings releases, controller’s letters or other internal communications
- calculating effective tax rate bridges for executive management
- Perform tax research on proposed or enacted legislation in all jurisdictions where KMT conducts business. Assess the impact of such legislation, summarize and report findings, and make recommendations to the Director of Tax and/or executive management.
- This position is the main point of contact for the external financial statement auditors with respect to taxes.
- Manage all accounting aspects of U.S. real estate, personal property, and franchise taxes, which are not covered under ASC 740. This includes developing annual budgets for the corporate planning department.
- Develop, analyze and implement tax planning strategies, including, but not limited to, merger, acquisition, divestitures and legal entity restructuring to ensure a tax efficient legal organization structure.
- Manage all transfer pricing matters that impact U.S. KMT legal entities and provide guidance to the global transfer pricing manager.
- Negotiate, as necessary, any disputed tax assessments with tax authorities to resolve the disputes in favor of KMT.
- Develop periodic forecasts of global tax payments for the company’s global cash flow forecasts.
- Manage the tax department corporate cost center budget.
- Assist with U.S. income tax compliance as necessary.
- Assume the lead role in directing the tax department with respect to U.S. international tax compliance and planning.
- Represent the tax department in cross-functional meetings to provide guidance with respect to tax matters.
- Direct the professional development of tax staff, including the completion of the KMT performance planning and management (PPM) process
- Manage ad hoc projects as necessary
Skills and Requirements of the position include:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Management with a concentration in accounting
- CPA, MBA, or Master’s degree in taxation strongly preferred
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in corporate taxation
- ASC 740 experience required
- Experience working in a multinational manufacturing company preferred
- Experience working in SAP and Hyperion a plus
- Demonstrated ability to perform complex analyses and discuss the outcomes with various levels of management
- Strong communication skills, with an ability to interact with team members at all levels of the organization, as well as an ability to articulate tax technical explanations in generally understood terms
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to be a self-starter