SENIOR COUNSEL -- CORPORATE REAL ESTATE
Comerica Incorporated is a financial services company headquartered in Dallas, Texas, strategically aligned into three major business segments: Business Bank, Retail Bank, and Wealth Management. Comerica Bank locations can be found in Arizona, California, Florida, Michigan and Texas, with select businesses operating in several other states, as well as Canada and Mexico.
Comerica Bank's has an open Senior Counsel position for an experienced and highly motivated commercial real estate and business transactions lawyer. The attorney will work at the bank's headquarters in Dallas, Texas as part of a team of attorneys and will provide the primary legal support for Comerica's enterprise corporate real estate matters. This Senior Counsel will have primary responsibility for handling matters related to company owned real estate, including purchases, sales, transfers, easements, OREO, etc. as well as drafting and negotiating the bank's commercial leases (including leases for Comerica Bank's banking centers, services centers and other location where the Bank is landlord or tenant). In addition, the position provides secondary support for matters related to the bank's commercial lending businesses, Special Asset Group, special projects and other areas of the bank as needed. Although litigation, regulatory and/or compliance experience is a plus, this is not a litigation, regulatory or compliance position.
This Senior Counsel position requires the highest level of legal analysis, integrity, trust and judgment. The successful attorney must have excellent oral and written communication skills, superb people skills, the ability to learn new areas of law quickly, business acumen, political savvy, an ability to anticipate and meet the needs of a demanding client group, flexibility and the ability to juggle a wide range of assignments simultaneously.
· Draft and negotiate various commercial leases, lease amendments, purchase and sale agreements and letters of intent for commercial properties owned or leased by the bank
· Serve on due diligence team related to corporate owned real estate and facilities acquisition matters
· Advise on new law implementations
· Advise on landlord-tenant issues, as well as other real estate matters including zoning, eminent domain, and other real estate legal issues
· Assist with the filing of regulatory applications, forms, etc. related to corporate owned and leased real estate
· Advise business unit executives and other staff on facilities matters
· Monitor the emerging legal-regulatory issues and Other Real Estate Owned (OREO) properties, and associated regulatory filings
· Provide legal support to various management committees
· Serve as a subject matter expert regarding facilities and corporate owned real estate matters, and provide support to other Corporate Legal Department colleagues regarding such matters
· Work closely with business teams to manage legal and contractual compliance for all Comerica properties, including permits, licenses, approvals, insurance, inspection and other legal requirements (e.g., zoning variances, building codes, ADA, etc.)
· Provide advice with respect to broker services
· Manage and review reports and other due diligence materials related to potential title and environmental liabilities
· Handle disputes with landlords, contractors, tenants and/or subtenants
· Provide legal support to the Office of Risk Management and Office of Enterprise Wide Compliance department staff regarding legal, compliance and other issues associated with real estate appraisal laws and regulations as well as Other Real Estate Owned (OREO) properties
· Advise senior bank officers, Relationship Managers and support personnel regarding the legal implications of proposed Bank policies, courses of action, credit policy and management decisions.
· Train and counsel bank personnel on legal, regulatory and compliance matters that affect the industry, company and their respective lines of business.
· Monitor company and industry issues and work with the business lines to implement and adhere to federal and state legal and regulatory requirements
· Assist the Special Assets Group and their Senior Counsel with acquisitions and dispositions of special asset properties, deeds-in-lieu of foreclosure, commercial mortgage foreclosures, foreclosures of security interests in various types of collateral such as inventory, accounts receivable and equipment.
· Assign, manage and monitor matters assigned to outside counsel.
· Other duties as necessary or assigned to facilitate the bank's legal needs and accomplish its business goals
Less than 5% travel is required of this position.
This position is located in Dallas, Texas and reports to the Senior Vice President and Divisional General Counsel
Relocation assistance is not provided for this position.
· Attorney must be licensed to practice law and a member in good standing in Texas; or admitted to practice and a member in good standing of another U.S. bar association (preferably California, Michigan or Florida), otherwise in compliance with the in-house counsel registration rules of Texas, and willing to become admitted to the Texas bar within 180 days of employment.
· Minimum of seven (7) years of experience either with a U.S. law firm and/or in-house legal department with at least 5 years of relevant commercial real estate transactions and leasing experience
· Experience negotiating and drafting leases, purchase and sale agreements, letters of intent and other real estate related documents
· Experience reviewing and opining on easement, title, environmental, insurance, brokerage and related real estate matters.
· Experience with commercial lending and other types of business transactions is a plus
· General familiarity with laws and regulations pertaining to real estate and business transactions
· Excellent legal skills and judgment including ability to interpret and explain statutes and regulations
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Strong interpersonal, analytical, problem-solving, time management and organizational skills
· Ability to understand and be responsive to the business's needs and partner across control functions throughout the organization to achieve commercials results while mitigating risk
· Adaptable, flexible and willingness to continue formal and informal learning and development
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team, manage complex projects and multitask successfully in fast-paced and changing business environment
Work Schedule8:30am - 5:00pm Monday - FridayWork Location(s)Comerica Bank Tower