This job contributes to the company's success by supporting the development, implementation and continuous improvement of quality assurance systems, standards and programs to ensure the delivery of safe, wholesome, premium quality products to our customers nationally. The Corporate Microbiology/Sanitation Manager provides subject matter expertise in food safety. Models and acts in accordance with company's guiding principles. Develops, implements, manages and tracks effectiveness of an integrated microbiological and sanitation program, including systems, standards, procedures, measures and tools to assure that food safety, quality and regulatory requirements are met for food products and operations.
- Manage microbiology testing program for the company and ensure the program implementation across all production facilities.
- Manage the corporate sanitation program for the company and ensure the program implementation across all production facilities.
- Leads cross-functional project teams and/or sub-teams that require and develop microbial specifications and standards and procedure improvements.
- Engage with production facilities for out of specification results on microbiological programs on the root cause analysis and corrective and preventive action plan.
- Develops and delivers effective communications that provide partners at all levels with appropriate awareness and knowledge of microbiological standards, program updates and process changes.
- Establish KPIs related to microbiology and sanitation programs and measure progress.
- Oversees the facility Food Safety Hygienists and engages with them on microbiology/sanitation initiatives/activities.
- Meet customer requirements on microbiological and sanitation aspects of products and facilities
- Reviews and establishes microbiological requirements for the ingredient suppliers to the company
- Recommends and oversees content updates to department or company resource manuals, standards manuals, training programs, and operational excellence tools. Oversees key stakeholder review of relevant operations communication vehicles.
- Supports the management of potentially serious product incidents through science based food microbiology approach.
- Stays up to date and builds expertise in food microbiology best practices, public health regulations and industry best practices. Ability to work well in a team environment and collaborate up and down the organization
- Other related responsibilities as assigned
- BS degree in Microbiology or related field. MS degree in a related field is preferred.
- At least 5 years in a microbiologist role or similar food safety position with sanitation knowledge.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to analyze complex data, draw conclusions and make recommendations
- Ability to articulate and sell quality assurance programs and continuous improvement goals to vendors
- Ability to assimilate new information quickly and react positively to new and challenging opportunities
- Ability to communicate effectively with supplier management team, internal customers and peers
- Ability to conduct scientific tests of food products
- Ability to make progress in spite of setbacks or lack of clarity
- Ability to manage and resolve conflicts
- Ability to operate effectively in a fast-changing environment
- Ability to solve vendor quality problems through data, processes and influencing skills
- Familiarity with food regulations
- Familiarity with quality documentation system
- Knowledge of food processing technology, ingredient functionality, microbiology and food safety
- Knowledge of quality assurance program methodologies and implementation within manufacturing environment
- Flexible schedule
- Must be able to manage projects from beginning to end
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Occasional driving, requiring up-to-date car insurance
- Ability to climb stairs numerous times a day
- Ability to travel.