Corporate Financial Reporting -Strategic Initiatives
The Controller’s Division is responsible for the Company’s financial statements, establishing corporate accounting policies, preparing SEC and regulatory reports and ensuring the adequacy of internal controls. The Division also manages and supports the Company’s General Ledger, Accounts Payable and Fixed Assets systems
The Change Management team is a component of the Corporate Financial Reporting team which resides within the Finance division spanning across all segments of the Company.
The Change Management team is a newly created team within Corporate Financial Reporting with the responsibility to drive quality, execute effectiveness initiatives, and ensure strategic initiatives are successfully accomplished. This group is dedicated to process control improvement and the betterment of corporate reporting for regulatory filings as well as legal entity reporting. The team works closely with the other components of the Corporate Financial Reporting team as well as many other departments and businesses throughout the Company. The team is in process of building its depth and bandwidth given the increased level of strategic initiatives and overall Corporate Financial Reporting projects. This position is an important aspect to the success of these initiatives.
This role will act as an advocate for senior management in the execution of strategic initiatives important to the Corporate Financial Reporting team. Primary responsibilities include ensuring that strategic initiatives are organized, communicated proactively, involve all necessary stakeholders, and executed effectively in-line with firm-wide initiatives. A candidate in this role is required to have a strong understanding and knowledge of financial institutions, various departments, businesses, and products common to such organizations. Additionally, a successful candidate will need to partner withother functions throughout the firm (operations, technology, compliance, risk management, legal, etc.) to accomplish strategic initiatives. The position also requires a broad knowledge base in technical accounting for financial products along with understanding the economics of such transactions including risk mitigation, allowing the candidate to draw parallels to such concepts in understanding and evaluating the corresponding reporting requirements.
Along with project management, this role provides technical expertise regarding accounting, SEC reporting and regulatory information and research. Duties include leadership of cross functional/virtual teams to strategize, plan and execute a variety of programs, services and initiatives. Examples might include, but are not limited to: finance/operational/executive management review coordination, process improvement and redesign, change management initiatives, ongoing oversight of a leadership / diversity/ recognition / Q12 or general program oversight. Provides leadership in the integration/implementation of programs / services /initiatives with cross functional business partners, recognizing the significance of competing priorities and strategies, and adjusting as necessary. Develops metrics and tracks/evaluates performance of programs, services and initiatives. Ensures plans/programs adhere to appropriate policies and regulations.
In addition to the above, this position will be responsible for the following:
• Identify areas for improvement and drive implementation of strategic financialreporting initiatives.
• Proactively lead the team in remediating REG/SEC deficiencies throughout the financialreporting team.
• Understand interconnections and direction of various firm-wide strategic initiatives to ensure all change management activities/decisions are in-line with such initiatives.
• Understanding interaction between FASB accounting updates, business impacts and how that impacts related financial products in order to fully understand impacts to SEC & REG reporting.
• Provide consistent guidance to all stakeholders and influence outcomes while taking ownership for all projects under direct supervision.
• Ensure all stakeholders are identified and actively involved in the applicable project, setting up and leading steering committee discussions as necessary.
• Execute independently on certain strategic initiatives
• Represent company within applicable industry groups and accounting related industry initiatives.
6+ years of experience in one or a combination of the following: project management, implementation, or strategic planning
• Ability to lead projects/initiatives with high risk and complexity
• Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
• Advanced Microsoft Office skills
• Highly refined and professional verbal and written communications
• Knowledge and understanding of capital markets: business and processes
• Knowledge and understanding of regulatory reporting: Federal Reserve, OCC, and SEC
• Strong analytical skills with high attention to detail and accuracy
• Strong research and documentation skills
• Management consulting experience at a top-tier consulting firm
• Experience with general ledgers and accounting policies
• Knowledge and understanding of corporate governance, financialreporting systems, legal entities, and role of regulatory authorities
• Ability to research and document SEC/GAAP/REG issues in clear and concise memorandums
• Product knowledge in some or all of the following areas (loans, debt, derivatives, securities, repurchase agreements, securities lending, commodities, cash equities trading, credit trading, securities, etc.)
• Broad financial product knowledge throughout the banking and capital markets industry inclusive of investment banking, asset-backed financing, non-market equityinvestments, etc.
• Experience with bank capital calculations, processes, and reporting, including risk weighted assets
• CPA certification
• Experience with large financial institutions