For over 75 years, the USO has been the nation’s leading organization to serve the men and women in the U.S. military, and their families, throughout their time in uniform. From the moment they join, through their assignments and deployments, and as they transition back to their communities, the USO is always by their side.
Today’s USO continuously adapts to the needs of our men and women in uniform and their families, so they can focus on their very important mission. We operate USO centers at or near military installations across the United States and throughout the world, including in combat zones, and even un-staffed USO service sites in places too dangerous for anyone but combat troops to occupy.
The Corporate Development Manager is responsible for prospecting, solicitation, and cultivation of new relationships with key partners in order to raise revenue and/or in-kind donations that support USO programs and services.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (*Essential Duties)
- Identify, solicit and manage the business development of new key corporate alliances including but not limited to opportunities for cause marketing, sponsorship, licensing and corporate foundation giving; meeting and/or exceeding established annual revenue goals. Evaluate and negotiate incoming prospects.*
- Develop relationships with corporate prospects through networking opportunities including but not limited to scheduled sponsor events, tradeshows and conferences, and in-person meetings.
- Identify and follow through on areas of intersection for the basis of a partnership with the USO. Conduct needs assessments in order to identify partnership goals, opportunities and desired outcomes. Introduce and transition new business accounts to designated Account Manager.
- In coordination with internal resources including but not limited to Marketing, Finance and Legal, develop proposals and negotiate and contract terms for assigned accounts.*
- Maintain and organize contact lists, reports and records in fundraising software database. Prepare and present activity reports, including partnership deliverables and revenue projections from key stakeholders.
- Stay Abreast and communicate internally as appropriate key trends, research and reports in all areas of corporate/non-profit alliances including corporate social responsibility, cause marketing and sponsorships
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree. Marketing, business or communications study preferred.
- 5+ years work experience in a business development, corporate fundraising, and/or business-to-business sales role. Relevant experience in for a charity/not-for-profit, military, multicultural and/or global organization preferred.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills. Ability to manage and influence external relationships.
- Strong interpersonal, customer service and problem-solving skills. Ability to interact with USO Leadership, the general public and military audiences at a variety of levels with integrity and professionalism.
- Proficiency using computers and electronics equipment. General knowledge of various software, applications, and programs including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite and Raiser’s Edge.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment related to controversial and/or culturally sensitive subjects. Ability to handle confidential information with tact and poise.
- Must show initiative, self-motivation, and attention to detail with the ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities. Ability to quickly and easily adapt to changing organizational needs.
- Ability to achieve desired results while working collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to perform basic business/accounting functions including project management and budget reconciliation.
- Ability to obtain and maintain proper credentials necessary to access USO Center locations and facilities including but not limited to security, credit and/or background screening, SOFA status, valid driver’s license.
- Must be a strong advocate of the USO’s mission.
- This position is located in Arlington, VA. Preference will be given to local candidates within commuting distance to the location.
- Relocation assistance is not provided for this position.
- Resume and cover letter are required for full consideration.