Where You Will Work
Located in Boulder, Colorado, the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is a nonprofit organization of 1,400 employees that supports and advances the atmospheric sciences. UCAR is also home to the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), one of the world’s premier scientific institutions, with an internationally recognized staff and research programs dedicated to advancing knowledge, providing community-based resources, and building human capacity in the atmospheric and related sciences.
The Office of General Counsel (OGC) at UCAR, under the direction of the Chief Legal Officer, provides legal representation to UCAR and all its constituent parts, including NCAR, UCAR Office of Programs, the President, the Board of Trustees, and the UCAR Foundation. The OGC and UCAR value inclusion, differing views, lively debate and respect for others.
What You Will Do
As an integral part of the Office of General Counsel team, provides legal advice to internal clients primarily on issues of employment law, privacy, and related areas. Provides sound business advice including on policies and procedures; claims, investigations and litigation; and risks and liability. Responsibilities include:
- Provides legal counsel to Human Resources (HR) and senior management on employment related matters including benefits
- Supports HR on investigations by providing legal expertise, guidance and strategy
- Manages, investigates, drafts and responds to claims, and third-party complaints filed with regulatory agencies, including CCRD and EEOC
- Helps manage and evaluate the work of outside employment counsel
- Serves as Privacy Officer for all purposes, including, but not limited to HIPPA, FISMA, and GDPR
- Helps manage privacy and security compliance program
- Provides legal expertise on privacy and data issues, training and serves on organization-wide committees and groups
Business Transactions, Contracts and IP Licensing
- Assists in drafting and negotiation of license agreements, templates, and othercontractual documents related to the commercialization or research use of UCAR’s intellectual property, technology transfer and technical support.
- Provides policies, training and presentations for areas of responsibility
- Provides legal research, analysis and advice and legal documents related to all relevant subject areas
- Maintains on-going legal expertise in areas key to organization’s business, non-profit and scientific mission
What You Need (Minimum Requirements)
- Strong background in all aspects of employment law matters and the resolution of complex legal issues
- Expert knowledge of United States and global privacy and data laws and regulations, including HIPPA, FISMA and GDPR
- Proven experience juggling multiple priorities and managing politically sensitive and confidential matters while maintaining a sense of humor and contributing to the cohesion of a small legal team
- Ability to communicate effectively with cross-functional teams (e.g., finance, contracts, scientists, engineers, project managers, senior leaders) and strong interpersonal skills including the ability to engender trust, respect and confidence
- Demonstrated record of well-honed legal research skills, superior writing and oral communication skills and time management skills
- Experience negotiating, drafting and analyzing a variety of contracts and related transactional documents
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with other attorneys and professional staff in a fast-paced, deadline-driven office.
- Position requires a Juris Doctor degree with an undergraduatedegree in a scientific, technical or business field and at least 5 years of relevant experience
- Admission and license to practice law in the State of Colorado in good standing
Desired Skills (Preferred)
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: intellectual property; technology transfer and commercialization, including licensing; commercial and government contracts; or, general business counseling is strongly desired
- Experience working in a university or scientific research environment
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills, including experience with successful resolution of complex legal issues
- Experience creating and conducting training programs on legal and compliance issues