SUPERIOR ENERGY SERVICES, INC. is a leading provider of specialized oilfield services and equipment, focused on serving the drilling and production-related needs of oil and gas companies worldwide. The world's energy producers rely on us for the services, tools, equipment and personnel needed to enhance and maintain the production of oil and gas wells. We play a vital role in all phases of a well's lifecycle — drilling, development and production. Superior Energy Services and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers.
Superior Energy Services is currently seeking a Corporate Counsel to join our Legal Team based in our Downtown Houston, TX headquarters.
The Corporate Counsel position will provide guidance and support on day-to-day operational matters as well as strategic business projects for Superior business units; draft, review and negotiate various commercial contracts, including vendor agreements, master service agreements, and international tenders; and assist the Associate General Counsel with handling various corporate legal functions. This position will provide practical, timely and precise legal counsel to Superior business units on a variety of legal matters.
- Provide guidance and support to Superior business units on a broad range of day-to-day operational matters and strategic business projects.
- Provide insight and training regarding client-specific legal issues, compliance matters, and internal policies.
- Draft, review and negotiate all forms of commercial contracts, including vendor agreements, master service agreements, equipment rental agreements and international tenders with customers, vendors and partners for various Superior business units.
- Identify potential commercial and legal risks arising under contracts being negotiated, and advise senior management on strategic solutions and risk mitigation strategies to address such risks.
- Develop additional contracting templates for Superior business units’ use.
- Provide legal counsel to Superior’s internal corporate departments on new projects and initiatives.
- Provide assistance in coordinating various domestic and international transactions, prepare required documentation, and direct due diligence with accounting, tax, risk management, compliance and HR departments as needed.
- Draft, review and negotiate documents for various real estate transactions, including commercial leases and purchases/sales of real property.
- The above statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified; nothing restricts the company’s right to change, assign, or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time or for any reason.
Competencies and Skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and organizational interpersonal skills
- Excellent judgement and ability to provide accurate and timely guidance to clients within all level of the organization
- Strong contract negotiation and drafting skills, including substantive expertise with key provisions of commerical contracts
- Ability to perform independent legal research
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Ability to stay organized and prioritize multiple responsibilities
- Fully proficient in MS Office
Education and Experience:
- JD degree with excellent academic credentials
- Must be admitted to practice law in at least one state
- Minimum 1-3 years of experience as a practicing attorney, with large law firm or corporate in-house experience highly preferred
- Prior Legal experience in the Oil & Gas Industry highly preferred
Excellent Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, Life, Matching 401(k), Employee Stock Purchase Plan