Role Value Proposition:
We are seeking a highly motivated regulatory and litigation attorney to join the MetLife Law Department.
The position is in the Regulatory and Retail Litigation Unit of the Litigation Section. The attorney in this position will be responsible for handling a broad range of regulatory, litigation and pre-litigation matters relating to insurance and annuity products, interpretation and application of regulatory requirements, reviewing and advising on statutory changes and industry-wide practices relating to regulatory requirements.
The candidate must be able to provide excellent legal advice and representation, have demonstrated a high degree of discretion and judgment, have the intellectual curiosity to keep abreast of the changing legal climate on issues relevant to a global provider of income and protection products and services, and have a strong commitment to personal growth, demonstrating leadership and developing talent. Experience in the following regulatory areas strongly preferred: unclaimed property, structured settlements and broker/dealer-related exams and issues.
Regulatory and Retail Litigation Unit attorneys are responsible for advising internal clients with respect to risks presented by regulatory requirements and actual and threatened litigation, managing and resolving those risks, and identifying opportunities to improve processes and business practices which will mitigate risk and better protect the Company. Duties include understanding and advising on current and future regulatory requirements, identifying and explaining potential issues to business partners, handling regulatory inquiries, exams and investigations initiated by state insurance departments, SEC, FINRA and other regulatory bodies. Meeting e-discovery obligations (including managing legal holds and document collections), research and writing, managing outside counsel, developing and executing strategy, budgeting and reviewing outside counsel invoices, advising business clients regarding regulatory and litigation risks and developing and presenting related training, negotiating settlements, preparing witnesses for interviews, depositions, arbitrations and trial, and establishing legal reserves.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- JD degree from accredited law school
- Excellent academic credentials
- Admission to New York and federal bar
- 4 years of experience reflecting a record of accomplishment
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Superior oral and written communications skills
- Ability to build relationships with regulators
- Ediscovery experience
- Demonstrated commitment to leadership and developing talent
- Demonstrated record of attention to detail, sense of urgency, ability to handle substantial workload effectively (i.e., establish priorities, adhere to deadlines)
- Willingness to partner with colleagues and business partners to contribute to success of the Litigation Section, Legal Affairs, and MetLife
- Ability to thrive as a team member and individual contributor in a high-performance culture
- Ability to provide creative input in a culture of continuous improvement with respect to policies and procedures of the Law Department and our business partners.
- Experience with lobbying disclosures, gifts & entertainment and campaign contribution requirements
- Escheatment/Abandoned property
Requisition #: 97083