The position is responsible for managing matters through all phases of litigation, including pre-suit demands, as well as counseling various business clients on risk and litigation mitigation strategies while balancing the company’s practical business needs, capabilities, and objectives. The position will require managing outside counsel in an efficient and cost effective manner while producing quality results, handling certain matters without outside counsel, working with business members at different levels within the company, and working with or overseeing other attorneys, paraprofessionals, and legal staff across the company’s global locations.
Specific matters may include consumer class actions, regulatory investigations or claims by local, state, or federal agencies, subpoenas, and intellectual property, contract, products’ liability, premises’ liability, real property, or construction cases. Specific tasks may include developing case resolution strategies, monitoring legal and litigation trends for potential impacts to the company’s business, managing and assisting in developing discovery mitigation strategies and responses and outside counsel and expert witness budgets, preparing or editing pleadings and settlement documents, witness preparation, representing the company in legal proceedings and alternative dispute resolution forums, and negotiating favorable resolutions of legal matters for the company. The successful candidate may be called upon to manage large projects relating to risk mitigation, litigation, legal expense, discovery, and outside counsel management, which will include working with stakeholders outside of Lowe’s Legal Department.
- Ability to manage and resolve litigation in a way that meets company strategies, within applicable budgets and authority, at times using internal resources only and at other times using outside counsel.
- Ability to deliver work product within business constraints in a high-volume, fast-paced and demanding environment while balancing competing client requests.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of laws applicable to one or more of the following so as to be able to evaluate situations and act decisively by understanding the short-term, intermediate, and long term business and legal implications of decisions being made or under consideration: litigation management, tort law, commercial law, consumer law, or regulatory law.
- Experience leading or ability to lead large scale, complex legal projects and to propose practical options for meeting client business goals within applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
- Ability to travel, including air travel, domestically and internationally on occasion (approximately 4-8 times per year).
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- J.D. from an ABA accredited institution.
- Minimum of 7 years relevant experience in law firm, in-house, or legal field.
- Licensed to practice law and in good standing in at least one state.
- Strong academic credentials from the respective ABA accredited institution.
- High energy and a dedication to client service.
- Uncompromising honesty and integrity; Ability to maintain confidentiality .
- Exceptional oral and written communications, presentation, interpersonal and facilitation skills.
- Must interact confidently, persuasively, and diplomatically with all levels of the organization.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Strong computer skills with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Ability to prioritize, manage multiple tasks and projects, and meet deadlines within a fast-paced environment.
- Skill and ability to collaborate within a team as well as operate independently.
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines
Job ID 1369678BR