The primary responsibilities of this Corporate Counsel position are to provide legal support to the Company and to other members of the Legal Department in the areas of (1) intermediary and institutional relationships; (2) subadvisory relationships; (3) the negotiation and maintenance of trading agreements for managed products; and (4) tracking and interpreting related laws and regulations.
- Drafting, revising and negotiating contracts and contract amendments between American Century and intermediaries who distribute American Century mutual funds, and generally providing legal support for the intermediary sales organization.
- Drafting, revising and negotiating subadvisory agreements between American Century and other investment advisers, as well as working on disclosure documents for such subadvisory relationships.
- Tracking and interpreting regulations applicable to American Century and its investment products.
- Monitoring SEC releases and enforcement actions for information pertinent to the Company, especially as may relate to the Company’s relationships with intermediaries and institutional clients.
- Assisting with the review of product advertising and interpreting FINRA requirements applicable thereto.
- Assisting with special projects that require legal input.
Desired Skills & Competencies
- Highly motivated self-starter with the ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, determine priorities, plan, organize and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, to legal and non-legal audiences. A writing sample will be required.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to handle confidential information in a sensitive manner
- Professional attitude, appearance, and demeanor
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
Education & Experience
- Law degree and at least 2-4 years' experience practicing in the securities law field
- Experience with investment products, including knowledge of the Investment Company Act of 1040 and Investment Advisers Act of 1940
- Experience negotiating contracts