The Tektronix Legal team is looking to add a new Corporate Counsel team member to support corporate and commercial legal matters under the supervision of the Associate General Counsel. In this role you will be responsible for negotiating, reviewing and preparing contracts primarily for the sale and distribution of Tektronix instruments, software, and services while also supporting a variety of assignments within your area(s) of legal expertise, such as software licensing, regulatory and compliance matters, government contracting, data privacy and security, or mergers and acquisitions. This role will partner with other functional groups to drive negotiations to closure and successfully support business objectives requiring legal guidance.
Through these responsibilities, you’ll have a direct impact on our goal to provide timely and risk appropriate support to the business, as well as drive improved profitability. You will also gain valuable experience with translating customer feedback into best in class solutions, continuous improvement projects, exposure to team members throughout the organization, and an opportunity to use and grow the skills needed to successfully support a global technology business.
- Negotiate complex strategic contracts according to Tektronix strategy and appropriate terms and conditions, coordinating with subject matter experts for acceptance of any non-standard terms where necessary.
- Provide counsel and support to the business and operate as an escalation point to other members of the legal team in your assigned areas of responsibility and areas of expertise.
- Partner with key stakeholders to identify and target current and potential workflows to tackle compliance and risk roadblocks to strategic initiatives.
- Anticipate problems and initiate actions to ensure efficient and timely completion of tasks.
- Promote Tektronix and Fortive compliance policies and programs which may include supporting compliance investigations.
- As assigned, support M&A and other strategic activities, including acquisition due diligence and post-closing integration.
- As assigned, support litigation, disputes, claims, and related legal matters.
- Manage outside counsel when additional expertise is required, being mindful of costs.
- Provide training and updates to commercial teams and other business partners.
- Support implementation and sustainment of contract lifecycle management tool globally.
- Assists as requested on other legal matters and projects.
- Provide exceptional customer service to and build strong relationships with internal and external customers.
- Participate in and lead successful ideation of legal innovation initiatives which may include developing training and self-help tools for the business, and improvements or development of new templates, playbooks, processes and policies.
- Exhibit the “Fortive 9:” Customer-obsessed, adaptable, delivers results, strategic, leads with FBS, innovates for impact, inspires, exhibits courage, and builds extraordinary teams.
The successful candidate will possess the following combination of education, experience and skills:
- Education and Experience
- JD from an accredited university and a member in good standing in one US state with the ability to gain approval to practice as corporate counsel in Oregon from the Oregon State Bar.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience at a law firm preferred, experience working in a legal department of an international company or comparable relevant legal experience will be considered.
- Strong commercial experience.
- Experience and interest in legal innovation and the disruption of traditional methods of legal service delivery.
- Interest and knowledge of technology industry.
- Unquestioned integrity and excellent judgment.
- Culturally savvy and able to work effectively in a global environment and across numerous legal systems.
- Process-driven and results-oriented; history of building sustainable and innovative standard work and systems.
- Problem-solver with a penchant for providing solutions or paths to resolution on complex matters.
- Capable of working successfully as an individual contributor and a team player.
- Strong organizational skills and work ethic, with ability to handle many complex issues simultaneously, prioritizing and effectively managing time.
- Fast learner who thrives in a high-demand environment.
- Organizational agility; able to work effectively across functions and organizational hierarchy.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and able to convey complicated advice and information in an understandable and engaging way.
- Ability to influence and build followership with associates at all levels.
- Financial literacy.
- Adept at translating legal terminology into Plain English.
- Computer savvy with experience in Office 365.
Preferred Candidates will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- Experience negotiating and drafting a combination of the following contract types: sale of goods and services, distributor and channel sales agreements, software license agreements, SaaS agreements, consulting agreements, and development agreements.
- Government contract experience, including contracts with the U.S. Government, prime contractors and state and federal agencies and a working understanding of government contracting rules including subcontractor flowdowns, Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), and Defense Federal Acquisition Regulations Supplement (DFARS).
- Strong understanding of the UCC Article 2 and 2A, including Battle of the Forms, and Incoterms.
- Experience with implementation and use of contract lifecycle management tool and data analytics.