Tesla is looking for a Corporate Counsel, Energy Products based in our Fremont, CA, office to support the growth of our global energy business. Your primary focus will be supporting our residential and commercial & industrial solar and energy storage business in the US. You will also assist with international transactions in our core EMEA and APAC markets and our expansion into emerging markets. Our ideal candidate would have a big-firm background, experience in the renewable energy industry and be passionate about accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy. This is a great opportunity for a pro-active and entrepreneurial lawyer to work at a fast growing and dynamic company.
- Provide advice on a wide variety of strategic, regulatory and transactional matters for the Energy Products business in the US, including consumer and commercial matters.
- Advise on the sale, installation and maintenance of Powerwall, Solar and Solar Roof, both direct to consumers and through channelpartnerships.
- Structure and negotiate equipment supply, EPC, O&M, lease, power purchase, performance guarantee and warranty agreements with commercial customers for solar, energy storage and solar + storage projects.
- Review and help prepare responses to requests for proposals and other competitive tenders.
- Support solar and energy storage transactions in our core APAC and EMEA markets and advise on new market entry and new product launches for the Energy Products business around the world.
- Prepare and maintain Energy Products contract forms.
- Liaise with colleagues in APAC and EMEA to ensure consistency of contracts and risk allocation across the global Energy Products business.
- Excellent academic credentials, preferably with a J.D. from a top-ranked law school or equivalent experience and evidence of exceptional abilities.
- A current licence to practice in one or more US jurisdictions (California preferred).
- A minimum of 5 years’ practice experience at a well-regarded law firm, with in-house experience at a company in the energy industry strongly preferred.
- Experience drafting and negotiating complex commercial contracts and/or experience advising on issues associated with the sale of consumer products, preferably in the renewable energy industry. Experience advising on issues related to consumer finance is a plus.
- A team player with the ability to proactively identify problems, drive projects, make complex cost/benefit assessments, and identify pragmatic/creative legal and business solutions.
- Ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively and to juggle competing priorities in a fast-paced, challenging environment.
- A quick and flexible learner, intellectually curious, open-minded, adaptable, comfortable with ambiguity and risk, and excited by dynamic change.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to quickly earn the confidence of your colleagues and effectively communicate with people at all levels of the organization.
- High standards, impeccable integrity and ethics, unquestionable good judgment, well-honed analytical skills, superior oral and written communications skills, and a keen sense of humor.
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy. We design, manufacture, sell and service the world’s best solar technology, energy storage systems, and electric vehicles, providing customers the opportunity to generate, store and consume energy entirely sustainably.
Tesla is committed to hiring and developing top talent from around the world for any given discipline. Based in California, Tesla’s workforce spans across four continents. We work to build an inclusive environment in which all people, regardless of gender, race, religion, or background, can come to do their best work.