The Corporate Controller has the authority and responsibility of maintaining accurate corporate financial and accounting data as well as managing the Accounting Department, all our SEC Reporting, various special projects, and accounting process and procedure development. This position will be responsible to ensure the integrity of the global consolidated accounting function by providing leadership, process knowledge, technical expertise, and business collaboration. The ideal candidate is a hands-on leader who is comfortable with ambiguity and can work collaboratively to solve problems and provide support across all functions in the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage accounting function, including general accounting, equity accounting, cost accounting, payroll and external reporting.
- Participates, as a member of the management team, in formulating and establishing organizational policies and operating procedures for the company.
- Establishes controls over financial reporting, including non-financial processes upon which the financials depend, and monitors for compliance.
- Assist with corporate reporting requirements.
- Develop, document, implement and monitor financial accounting policies and procedures.
- Review, modify, and/or improve procedures and/or processes, as needed.
- Primary interface with international accounting firms.
- Evaluate opportunities from an operations/financial perspective, considering the product technology, patient needs, and market needs.
- Drive compliance with the corporate budget, including coordinating departmental budgetary inputs.
- Manage the month and year-end close and audit activities.
- Prepare schedules as part of the quarterly reviews and year-end audit.
- Interface with external auditors.
- Ability to supervise and direct accounting and tax functions.
- Identify candidates for internal positions and partners with Human Resources to recruit candidates to ensure proper staffing of the Finance and Accounting Department.
- Provide financial data and analyses of budget variances to management as required.
- Ability to provide meaningful and insightful commentary on financial results to management, investors and other constituents on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
- Ability to review income tax provisions.
- Responsible for compliance with tax authorities including payroll taxes, sales and use taxes, property taxes, income taxes, franchise taxes, and the medical device tax.
- Perform special projects, analyses and reports as required to support the needs of the company.
- Special projects/duties as requested by the CFO.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education / Training:
- Minimum of 15 years accounting experience, with at least five in a management position.
- Minimum five-plus years of prior experience in manufacturing, preferably medical device.
- Bachelors’ Degree in Accounting or Finance, or equivalent experience. MBA preferred.
- CPA or equivalent degree required.
- Excellent technical accounting skills required. Accurate and detail oriented.
- Strong initiative, leadership and management skills required.
- Strong U.S. GAAP skills required.
- SEC or other external reporting experience required.
- Experience preparing audited financial statements (entirely, including footnotes).
- Strong knowledge of all aspects of accounting in a typical manufacturing company, including revenue recognition, cost accounting, payroll, tax, consolidations (including entities based in foreign currencies), stock option administration and accounting, warrant accounting, and accounting for complex loans. Experience accounting for clinical trial costs a plus.
- Experience developing annual budgets, forecasts, and long-range operating plans.
- Prior experience establishing, maintaining, and monitoring financial and accounting systems procedures and controls.
- Superb attention to detail and the ability to deliver results in a fast paced environment.
- Professional demeanor and team player.
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment when necessary.
- Must be able to work on many different projects at one time and be results-oriented.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees.
- Demonstrated analytical skills and problem solving.
- Strong positive interpersonal skills.
- Maintains confidentiality at all times.
- Must be accurate, detail-oriented, and organized.
- Ability to be adaptable – manages competing priorities and is able to deal with unexpected events.
- Expresses ideas effectively orally and in writing.
- Experienced with the following software applications:
- Microsoft Office Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Expert skill in Excel.