A large diversified financial services firm seeks a senior level Compliance executive to oversee their insurance units.
Summary of Responsibilities:
This position in the Corporate Ethics and Compliance Department will be responsible for leading the compliance program for U.S. Business operations, including Group Benefits, Retirement & Income Solutions, Global Employee Benefits, and Property & Casualty operations, in addition to Global Technology & Operations in their support of U.S. businesses.
These businesses are industry leaders in delivering employee benefits, providing retirement and benefit funding solutions in specialized markets, and auto and home coverages throughout the U.S.
This senior officer will be responsible for ensuring that the U.S. Business Compliance unit has appropriate staffing in place, signing off on quarterly compliance risk assessments, communicating the results of such risk assessments to senior management, and interfacing with federal and state regulators who have oversight of company business activities.
This position requires strong risk management skills and will necessitate working collaboratively with senior leaders across the enterprise, including in U.S. Business, Risk Management, the Law Department, and Internal Audit.
- Lead the U.S. Business Compliance team in the ongoing administration of the unit?s compliance program and day-to-day monitoring and testing activities associated business operations. Ensure that compliance controls are operating effectively across the relevant business units, and opine on conditions where appropriate with senior leaders.
- Oversee each business units? compliance with relevant laws, regulations, and corporate policies.
- Promote a culture that encourages ethical conduct and a commitment to regulatory compliance.
- Participate in meetings with key business partners to stay informed of new product ideas, business strategies and initiatives, and emerging risks. Adjust U.S. Compliance strategies, monitoring and testing to ensure valued service is sustained.
- Stay abreast of changes in the regulatory environment related to employee and corporate benefits. Analyze the business impact of regulatory changes. Ensure that pertinent new laws and regulations are included in the inventory of applicable laws and regulations maintained, and that business operations are educated appropriated and implement changes accordingly.
- Oversee the ongoing monitoring and testing of the control environment related to the compliance risks identified for the U.S. Business units and recommend and/or implement control enhancements when control deficiencies are identified.
- Maintain and update compliance policies and procedures. Ensure revisions are communicated to relevant associates.
- Oversee and conduct ongoing training to reinforce the importance of the compliance program and the applicability of compliance policies and procedures.
- Identify and communicate results of compliance risk assessments, compliance issues, and control concerns to appropriate senior management including the Business Unit Leaders, Risk Officers, and Operations Officers.
- Interface with regulators during regulatory exams, as required. Stay abreast of all regulatory examination findings to ensure control weaknesses identified by regulators are addressed.
- Coordinate with Internal Audit, Risk Management and the Law Department to understand any identified weaknesses in controls, areas of concern, and top and emerging risks. Assist in developing new controls and/or processes to improve the control environment.
- Coordinate with Special Investigation Unit to understand emerging trends in fraudulent activities impacting the Company.
- Act as a key contact to U.S. Businesses associates for all compliance-related questions or concerns.
- 15+ years of experience in the insurance and employee benefits industry with a legal and/or compliance mindset
- Educational background ? minimum Bachelor?s Degree, JD and/or MBA preferred
- Excellent analytical and research skills. Ability to apply critical thinking essential
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to prepare and conduct presentations and communicate with senior and executive management
- Strong interpersonal, management, leadership, and motivational skills
- Must be a dedicated, self-motivated individual with an ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Must be a results-oriented, performance based leader who will produce results based on stated goals and objectives and must be able to ensure that individuals in the organization produce results based on their respective performance and development plans
- Must have working knowledge of fraud and abuse investigative techniques and interviewing practices
- Ability to assess risk and communicate results to management. Ability to analyze risks and controls and determine when controls are not operating effectively
- Knowledge of insurance industry, and principles of insurance sales and back-office operations essential, particularly involving retail and group sales
- Knowledge of rules and regulations applicable to varied operations, including state insurance laws, federal securities laws, and other applicable regulatory regimes
Please email resumes to Jack Kelly at .