Please review the following job description:
Develop, implement, and execute strategic external andinternal communications plans to support the corporation’s culture and strategic objectives. Protect and promote the BB&T brand through media relations, media monitoring and analysis,event response and crisis management, executive communications,internal communications, business unit communications andsocial media. Serve as a key corporate spokesperson on a wide range of corporate topics including brand support, client service, community relations, industry-specific themes, products and services and regulatory issues. Serve as external andinternal communication strategist for assigned business units as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
1. Develop, implement, and execute strategic internal and external communications plans to support the corporation’s culture and strategic objectives.
2. Serve as a key corporate spokesperson on a wide range of corporate topics including brand support, client service, community relations, industry-specific themes, products and services and regulatory issues.
3. Create and foster consistent brand journalism content to promote BB&T’s client service culture, community involvement and culture to associates, clients, shareholders and other stakeholders.
4. Develop key messages as needed in response to media inquiries as well as significant and disruptive events. Prepare and coach executives and senior leaders to serve as spokespersons as needed in preparation for statements and interviews.
5. Provide consultative counsel to Executive Management Team and serve as trusted advisor for external speaking engagements, media interviews, broadcast appearances, public forums, and associate engagements.
6. Write and edit news releases, op-ed pieces, media statements, remarks, presentations, articles, social media posts and other content. Topics may include corporate positions on industry topics, bank and subsidiary acquisitions, products and services, management changes, charitable contributions and activities, community relations, company recognitions, associate recognitions and promotions, etc. Communications are written conversationally using principles of AP style and designed for specific audiences in mind.
7. Build and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with journalists at a variety of print, broadcast and online publications on a national, regional and local level. Write and deliver media pitches to journalists to deliver key messages and generate positive coverage.
8. Leverage internal communications tools to promote culture, foster associate engagement and build support for corporate strategic objectives including corporate emails, intranet news stories, social media content and multimedia scripts.
9. Partner and manage agency and vendor relationships as needed to support corporate communications function.
10. Monitor BB&T and other peers’ media coverage and leverage tools to measure and report various analytics to monitor reputational risk. This includes specific controversial and sensitive issues along with emerging news trends and key issues in the financial industry. Leverage findings to inform future strategies.
11. Responsible for curating and providing content for daily company and industry-based news clip reports for senior leaders.
12. Serve as a mentor and coach to junior-level team members.
Required Skills and Competencies:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications or Public Relations, or equivalent education and related training
2. Ten years of experience in communications strategy development and project management
3. Thorough, proven understanding of media relations and public relations principles
4. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Writing samples are requested and should demonstrate ability to write conversationally and concisely to a wide variety of audiences leveraging principles of AP Stylebook
5. Proven leader and demonstrated team player with excellent interpersonal, negotiation, listening and management skills. Ability to successfully interact with people at all levels of the organization and counsel, negotiate, influence and inspire
6. Proven project management ability including managing the conceptualization and execution of multiple large, complex projects along with capability to make rational decisions under pressure
7. Very good understanding of web-based internal and external communications including social media
8. Demonstrated proficiency in basic computer applications, such as Microsoft Office software products
9. Ability to travel, occasionally overnight
1. Corporate communications experience within financial industry or related industries
2. Accreditation in Public Relations (APR)
3. Practical knowledge of SharePoint