An employee-owned company with more than $4 billion in sales, Scoular employs more than 1,000 people in over 100 offices and facilities in North and South America, and Asia. For 125 years, feed and food customers have been counting on Scoular people to create safe and reliable supply chain solutions for end-users and suppliers of grain, feed ingredients, and food ingredients around the globe.
The Corporate Assistant Controller is a critical member of the corporate accounting group that serves as a lead resource in implementing and maintaining Scoular’s accounting practices, providing insightful, timely, and accurate financial information, and in ensuring the safeguard of Scoular’s assets and adherence to key internal controls.
- Oversee Scoular’s general ledger set-up and reporting hierarchies.
- Oversee the accounting for the corporate service groups.
- Assist the Corporate Accounting group in preparing accurate and timely financial statements also acting as a liaison with the Tax, Accounting & Control, and FP&A teams.
- Oversee Scoular’s annual external audit.
- Prepare, report, and provide insight into Scoular’s corporate financial forecasts.
- Perform technical accounting research and provide recommendations to Scoular’s Senior Leadership.
- Ensure the timely and accurate accounting treatment of all transactions under US GAAP, including day-to-day transactions as well as complex, non-recurring transactions.
- Prepare and review certain period-end account reconciliations.
- Provide account and balance sheet/income statement flux analysis to help explain any unusual activity and ensure transactions are properly accounted for and can be justified.
- Prepare and/or review Scoular’s bank compliance and CME & MGEX financial reporting submissions.
- Ensure that internal controls are adhered to and provide recommendations on process enhancements necessary to safeguard Scoular’s assets. Prepare and review Scoular’s SOPs for best practices.
- Serve as a subject expert for Scoular’s IT transformation project in setting up configuration and accounting processes for the future. Review and provide recommendations that system enhancements are put in place with proper controls.
- Oversee the implementation of the ASC 606 Revenue Recognition Standard and the ASC 842 Lease Accounting Standard.
- Review existing processes, structures, and systems to identify improvement opportunities with a focus on simplification, standardization and optimization, especially the reduction of manual, Excel-based activities.
- Build and maintain relationships with business leaders. Enhance cross-functional collaboration by fostering trust, commitment, accountability, and results.
- Perform and book eliminating and consolidating journal entries. Reconcile and balance intercompany transactions and serve as GL lead in working with the tax group to set and report transfer pricing guidelines.
- Monitor and help in the set-up of the corporate A/R, A/P, and expense reporting processes.
- Be a team leader on accounting/finance projects as needed.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance; and five years of experience
- A strong understanding of US GAAP
- Ability to effectively communicate with employees at all levels
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks
- Ability to research and solve problems
- Ability to work under pressure and at times, within tight deadlines.
- Ability to have a strong attention to detail
- Experience related to commodity mark to market accounting or in the food processing industries.
- Experience with coordinating and/or overseeing external financial statement audits
- A CPA is preferred, but not required
The Scoular Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer