The Core Infrastructure Architect provides high level design, standards, and long-term growth and capacity analysis for the virtualization, storage, backup, and server architecture of Children's Mercy. The Core Infrastructure Architect is also a key member of Architecture Review Board (ARB). The ideal candidate should have strong understanding of CI/CD Pipelines, DevOPs Practices, and Lean culture.
The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding and experience creating and maintaining large-scale distributed architecture solutions, a problem-solving mindset, and experience leading infrastructure discussions to ensure scalability, resiliency, security and availability. This position requires deep customer focused thinking, the ability to be hands on, and have a bias for action. Core Infrastructure Architect role is embedded within the Core Infrastructure team that consists of five Engineers.
- Provide architectural consulting expertise, direction, and assistance to Systems Analysts, Systems Engineers, and other technical Architects
- Collaborate with end users and senior management to define business requirements for complex systems development and gain buy-in for all infrastructure plans.
- Review new and existing IT projects, systems design, and procurement/outsourcing plans for compliance with IT standards and architectural plans.
- Create solution options that align IT services with mission, goals and objectives with consideration of both technical and non-technical implications and trade-offs.
- Guide the development and implementation of business solutions across multiple projects. Provide direction to technical teams during project delivery. May validate and approve the deliverables of the technical team
- Experience leading infrastructure discussions to ensure scalability, resiliency, security, and availability
- Work with Product/Service teams to design and support the evolution of infrastructure architecture based on conceptual design and business requirements
- Collaborate with members of the Information Services teams to implement and support far-reaching strategic efforts, provide constructive feedback, and foster a collaborative environment
- Actively engage with internal team to develop frameworks and tools to drive extensive automation of infrastructure environments and software engineering practices
- Develop reference architectures, publish design patterns, drive technical designs to consensus and approval
- Contribute and respond to architecture reviews as needed
- Drive technical and business discussions relative to future architecture direction aligning with business goals
- Extensive understanding regarding concepts of setting and driving architecture direction
- Evaluate new and emerging technologies, services, tools, and vendors for innovative new capabilities to guide business and technology decisions
- Enforce adherence to architectural standards/principles, product-specific guidelines, usability design standards, governance, cost controls, etc.
- Provide technical expertise and troubleshooting skills for large scale distributed computing systems and software
- Provide engineering leadership to support projects including solution recommendation and documentation
- Bachelor’s degree and 7 years’ experience
- 10+ years’ experience could be accepted in lieu of a bachelor’s degree
- Experience in large/complex and agile environments
- Deep level of expertise across a broad range of Virtualization, Storage, Networking, Server and Operating System technologies including:
- NetApp OnTap and e-Series Storage Appliances
- Cisco UCS platforms
- VMware Horizon VDI, VMware SDDC, NSX
- Active Directory
- NetScalers/Other Enterprise Load Balancers
- Netbackup/Veeam Backup Solutions (Or other large enterprise backup platforms)
- NetApp HyperConverged Infrastructure (or other HCI solutions)
- Must have the ability, aptitude, and communication skills to mentor team members
- An infectious, positive attitude
- Strong interpersonal and customer relationship skills, including the ability to communicate to multiple levels of the organization and with non-technical partners to derive technical requirements and priorities
- Able to adjust work-style and communication to match team or audience, especially when working with non-technical resources
- Strong understanding of large-scale distributed architecture solutions and a problem-solving mindset
- Experience with large scale migrations, specifically Data Center to Data Center and/or Data Center to Cloud
- Experience with Infrastructure automation through DevOps scripting (E.g. shell, Python, Ruby, PowerShell)
- Experience with configuration management and building deployment pipelines (Ansible, Puppet, Jenkins, Saltstack, etc.)
- Strong practical Linux and Windows-based systems administration skills in a Cloud or Virtualized environment
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges
- Experience working with and designing hybrid (On-Premise and Cloud) infrastructures is preferred
- Working knowledge or have implemented SDLC and Lifecycle Management programs
- Applicable Certifications