Core Network Engineer 961
La Mirada, CA
The NetworkEngineering team provides high-level architecture, design, installation and operational support for the networks and infrastructure. The NetworkEngineers lend technical expertise to internal staff and external customers, and serve as official representatives of company in technical forums, such as meetings, panel discussions,
and conference presentations.
The Core NetworkEngineer provides high-level architecture, design, and operational support for the networks and infrastructure.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist management and collaborate with other staff and customers in the development of the overall architecture for the networks and infrastructure.
- Assist management and collaborate with other staff in the ongoing definition of network design, services, procedures, and policies.
- Participate, in a leadership role at times, in the implementation of those designs, services, procedures, and policies. Ensure appropriate hand-off to operational/systems support staff of new implementations or upgrades.
- Support other staff members through provision of second-level support for all operational issues, training, and consultation.
- Respond to network issues on a rotating on-call basis. This will, depending on the situation, require work outside the traditional work hours, including weekends and holidays, and will require carrying and responding to a cell phone or other contact device, as determined by management.
- Monitor performance, capacity, and availability of the network on an ongoing basis. Recommend improvements in technologies and practices to increase these metrics.
- Maintain awareness of and familiarity with trends and new developments in technologies used in, or appropriate for use in, networks and infrastructure.
- Develop proof-of-concept pilots and test plans for new tools and technologies as appropriate for use in networks and infrastructure. Coordinate implementation of new tools and technologies in the production environment and ensure appropriate hand-off to operational/systems support staff of production tools and technologies.
- Represent in regional, national, and international technical forums as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Four-yeardegree in computer science or related field or equivalent work experience
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Proven experience and demonstrable success with network design, implementation and troubleshooting
- Working knowledge of the operation and maintenance of enterprise-wide networks
- Strong background in network management and analysis
- Familiarity with standard telecommunications troubleshooting methods
Skills and Technical Knowledge:
- In-depth knowledge of current network routing protocols and standards
- Demonstrated ability to utilize network management and analysis tools
- Strong understanding of current network equipment and technologies
- Familiarity with network security, firewall and VPN technologies
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment, able to balance multiple projects and tasks
- and complete them successfully and within timelines
- Strong proficiency in written and oral communications
- Strong interpersonal skills, with focus on customer service orientation
- Highly self motivated and directed
- Keen attention to detail
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Working with high-powered optical transmission equipment
- Occasional pulling and installing of cables in raised floors and overhead ladder racks
- Occasional lifting, installation and transportation of moderately heavy (25 to 50 pounds) and heavy (over 50 pounds) objects, such as routers, switches, computers and peripherals
- Valid non-commercial Class C California driver’s license or equivalent license recognized by the State of California
- Ability to travel nationally
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Familiarity with HTML, MySQL, and UNIX
- Previous experience working with optical transmission equipment
- Ability to travelinternationally