Tennova - North Knoxville Medical Center is an full-service acute care hospital. The Powell hospital and medical center offers private patient rooms with dedicated family areas. In addition, the hospital has technologically advanced information and communications systems, decentralized nursing stations for better efficiency and patient care, and noise-reduction materials to provide patients with a more comfortable experience. North Knoxville Medical Center was the first outpatient hospital campus in the Powell area for cancer care, imaging and women's services. The center offers comprehensive cancer diagnostics, treatment, and support services; interventional cardiology services; advanced imaging services; and women's diagnostic services and educational programs.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) reports to the Chief Executive Officer and is responsible for the hospital's day-to-day activities, including revenue and sales growth; expense, cost, and margin-control; and monthly, quarterly, and annual financial goal management.
The responsibilities of the COO include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing day to day operations of all departments in the hospital with the exception of Nursing.
- Coordinating facility and program planning budget preparation, administering hospital policy formulation
- Representing the hospital at various professional, civic and governmental organizations and meetings.
- Partnering with physicians who use, or will use, the hospital; taking a role in the recruiting and retention of physicians
- Working with the Chief Executive Officer to ensure the hospital meets necessary regulatory and compliance approvals and quality accreditations in conjunction with the hospital's Chief Nursing Officer
- Working with the Chief Executive Officer to create an environment that will encourage the recruiting and retention of qualified hospital employees
- Analyzing areas in planning, promoting and conducting organization-wide performance improvement activities
- Assisting in planning of new services that generate additional sources of profitable revenue
- Assisting in managing costs by continually seeking data that will identify opportunities and take action to eliminate non-value costs in conjunction with the hospital's financial and nursing officers
- Participating in the hospital's monthly operation reviews as well as participating in corporate office meetings as deemed necessary
This position reports directly to the CEO and in the absence of the CEO, the COO may be required to interpret hospital policy and provide guidance.
- Must possess a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or related field from an accredited institution
- Master of Healthcare Administration or MBA with Healthcare emphasis required.
- Minimum 4 years recent hospital experience managing multiple departments in acute care facility.
- Experience in physician relations or recruitment required.
- Must be proficient in written and verbal communication skills
- Must have proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with physicians, hospital staff and community
- Ability to maintain confidential information concerning personal, financial, or medical matters
- Must have knowledge of technical and professional skills management, general principles of human resource management, labor relations and hospital economics