Controls & Governance Operational Risk Manager - Commercial Banking Group
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Controls & Governance, Manager Group
Job Description Summary
Responsible for managing the efficient execution of centralized compliance functions and practices at the group or corporate level. Identifies and remains abreast of laws, regulations and regulatory guidance related to a specific regulation (i.e., AML, OFAC, Fair Lending, or other Banking regulation). Ensures centralized operational practices are accurately documented in procedures to transparently demonstrate satisfaction of compliance rules. This includes monitoring the compliance control process, all while ensuring that the business activities are performed in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and best practices.
Essential Job Functions
1. Manages a team of staff responsible for regulatory and/or program activities related to Bank regulations.
2. Develops and provides MIS and reporting resulting from monitoring or program activities.
3. Monitors and tracks recommendations for enhancements to policies, processes, procedures or controls from external examinations, internal audits or compliance testing.
4. Leads and provides subject matter guidance to implement changes to polices, processes, procedures or controls.
5. Oversees projects or ongoing control process or continuous monitoring process relating to controls that ensure compliance with one or more regulatory requirement so
6. Interacts with external examiners and coordinates with internal audit and Corporate Compliance Testing within position’s area of focus.
7. Performs other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Finance - Required
· Master’s/Advanced Degree in Business or Finance - Preferred
· Requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead project teams multiple job areas. Typically has mastery level knowledge and skills within a specific technical or professional discipline with broad understanding of other areas within the job function.
· Requires 12-15 years minimum prior relevant experience.
o Corporate Compliance:
· Manages staff of employees responsible for
· suspicious activity alert triage
· suspicious activity case investigations,
· suspicious activity reporting,
· currency transaction reporting
· currency transaction reporting exemption management
· customer risk assessment, due diligence and enhanced due diligence
o OFAC operations functions
- Responsible for managing the efficient execution of centralized compliance functions at a corporate level relating specifically to Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Office of Foreign Assets Control Sanctions (OFAC) operations.
- Identifies and remains abreast of laws, regulations and regulatory guidance (collectively the AML & OFAC rules) relating to AML and OFAC.
- The role also coordinates with business unit functions with regard to ensuring appropriate and accurate data (both electronic and manual) is submitted timely to allow for (i) alerting and investigation of suspicious activity (ii) detection and blocking or rejection of sanctioned transactions and (iii) reporting.
- Formal Credit training from a major Commercial Bank
- Thorough knowledge of commercial lending, sales, and financial service needs of middle market and large corporate companies
- Analytical and Research
- Bank product and service knowledge
- Coordinate events and Meetings
- Demonstrated Management skills
- Marketing skills
- Negotiation skills
- Planning and Organizing
o Banking Services Group (BSG)
- Ensuring Level 1 Controls related to Regulatory and Operational Risks within the line of business are defined and executed. Methodologies for a permanent control framework in the line of business
- Leading the coordination with different bank compliance and internal control streams
- Policies and procedures
- Line of business entity and unit level compliance and operations control assessments
- Oversee the preparation and distribution of regular/special management reports on regulatory and operational risk compliance and the department’s activities. Review/approve data compiled for analysis or dashboards
- Ensure staff maintains current knowledge of operational risk management and regulatory compliance requirements for financial institutions
- Possesses a strong knowledge of industry best practices and systems