Primary Purpose: This position is responsible for controls engineering project requirements involving PLC programming, HMI/SCADA programming, control panel design, instrumentation specification, engineering documentation support, check-out support and commissioning assistance.
This position requires the Controls Engineer to conceptualize, detail and implement control systems for industrial processes and machinery that meet our client’s requirements. This involves the development of a control system architecture, selecting the components to be used, detailing schematic diagrams and system documentation, programming controllers (PLC,DCS,RTU), programming the process visualization (HMI/SCADA), developing databases for archiving/displaying historical system data and implementing/commissioning the control system at the client’s facility. Knowledge of controller programming languages such as Ladder, Sequential Function Chart, Structured Text and others to achieve the desired results is required. Also having knowledge of standard programming languages such as VBA, .NET and SQL for the development of HMI/SCADA systems is preferred.
For larger systems, experience with industrial networking used to connect control system components and instrumentation is preferred. The Controls Engineer would design, detail and implement a variety of fiber, wired and wireless systems using industrial protocols (Ethernet/IP, Profibus, Modbus, etc.).
The ideal candidate must have a diverse engineering skill set with the ability to work independently. Will act as technical lead on projects and guide lower level engineers and technicians. Could also act as Project Manager on smaller projects
- Education – A Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical/Control Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Computer Science is required.
- Experience – 3 to 10 years with capabilities in below areas is preferred:
- An in-depth understanding of PLC hardware/software platforms such Rockwell Automation, Siemens, Modicon.
- An in-depth understanding of HMI/SCADA hardware/software platforms such as Iconics Genesis64, Wonderware System Platform, GE Cimplicity, GE iFIX, Rockwell Automation, Siemens.
- An in-depth understanding of Emerson DeltaV
- Experience in industries such as Life Sciences, Building Automation, Food and Beverage, Oil & Gas and Mining.
- Experience is design of electrical schematics, including power distribution under 480VAC, control panels and associated NEC references desired.
- Experience with AutoCAD is also desired
- Ability to travel up to 25%.
Physical Demands of Position:
Seeing, color perception, hearing, listening, clear speech, dexterity in hands, driving, lifting, climbing, ability to mount and dismount equipment, pushing, and pulling