Primary Purpose: Provide project and controls engineering support to customers as well as junior engineers in controls engineering group for all aspects of projects.
Project Lead Responsibilities: project execution, task identification, task prioritization and scheduling, task ordering, time tracking and reporting, early problem identification and conflict resolution, hardware requisition, supporting other engineers in group, and attending project status meetings. Responsibilities also include:
- Develops and executes controls portion of the project
- Responsible for detailed knowledge of scopes of work
- Works with team to meet overall project deadlines.
- Ensures that all project team members clearly understand the scope of W-M engineering responsibilities
- Works with Project Manager to develop engineering schedules for W-M team and customer requirements
- Evaluates progress on project tasks and details changes.
- Assigns work to team members
- Participates in business development activities and proposal development.
- Supports Project Manager in development of costs and proposal of change orders to contract scope
- Serves as a W-M engineering interface with the customer during the implementation phase of the project
- Ensures compliance with all regulations, codes etc as they apply to the contract and project(s).
- Controls engineering design, development, and implementation including software (PLC layout, HMI approaches, Ladder concepts, Scripted languages), hardware (systems integration, instrumentation callout, panel layout, and construction), and systems design (integration of the various components on any given project)
- Technical writing including project definition and requirements, clearly delineated status reporting, process control sequence of operations, standard practices and procedures, scope of supply, requests for information, customer correspondence, and code commenting
- Project documentation: task/periodic status reporting, percent complete estimating, production and assembly of required project manuals, organization and maintenance of current network based project files, phone transcripts, meeting minutes, I/O lists, specifying basic instrumentation, etc.
- Programming Control Ladder logic, scripted control languages, graphics construction, instrumentation and various control device configurations, database configuration, and intuitive ability to program an otherwise difficult device
- Some sales and marketing is involved. This includes the ability to identify sales opportunities, confidence to suggest scope changes with justifications, ability to network across targeted industries, vision to try new marketing approaches, and willingness to take on new marketing responsibilities as needed
- Ability to simulate, test and troubleshoot code and systems, regardless of level of involvement in the programming of said code and systems.
- Education – A BA/BS degree in engineering or related discipline (BSEE or BSChemE degrees preferred). Technical degree and/or equivalent experience may be substituted.
- Work Experience – 5-10 years of directly related experience in process control and/or manufacturing is preferred. Strong leadership and client relation skills required.
- Technical Experience – Industrial instrumentation and control implementation with multiple platforms. Honeywell, Emerson, Rockwell, Siemens, Multiple DCS / PLC communication protocols.
- Industry Experience – Food & Beverage, Oil & Gas, Pulp / Paper and Utilities
- Professionalism – able to work independently or as part of small or large team.