The Controls Engineer Sr. is responsible for project development and execution focused around factory automation projects. The Controls Engineer Sr. will be able to implement, develop, troubleshoot, and provide direction for the installation, maintenance, and repair of plant control systems. These systems include AC & DC drives, Motor / Generator Sets, servo motors, PLC's, industrial controls networks, HMIs and instrumentation.
20% Perform analysis, detailed design (including documentation), capital request preparation, installation, start-up/checkout/debugging, and cost control of assigned projects.
25% Provide technical expertise in support of capital projects, process evaluation, and equipment modification. Manage contractors and maintenance staff during project installations. Maintain all logic and PLC programs, install switches, and perform maintenance on the network as needed.
40% Monitor Plant systems, analyze performance, initiate action for optimization, and participate in process improvement efforts to achieve plants goals for safety, productivity, and cost effectiveness.
15% Develop electrical training programs for electrical, instrument, and mechanical teams to stay abreast of federal, state and local regulations. Manage records regarding all system software changes, and communicate any changes to affected employees.
Perform other duties as assigned.
LEVEL BASED COMPETENCIES:
Level Based Competencies are to be designated based on job level and content.
- Building Strategic Working Relationships
- Technical/Professional Knowledge & Skills
- Stress Tolerance
- Decision Making
Technical knowledge/skills (entry, intermediate, advanced)
- Advanced finite math and analytical skills
- Intermediate proficiency using root cause analysis to troubleshoot and solve problems
- Intermediate proficiency in the calibration, repair and maintenance of process control equipment’
- Intermediate proficiency in PLC programming, debugging and troubleshooting
- Intermediate proficiency in user interface tools, such as Wonderware, SCADA or PanelView
- Intermediate proficiency in creating process flow diagrams
- Intermediate proficiency in maintaining electronic, pneumatic and hydraulic systems
- Intermediate proficiency using variable frequency drives, servo motion control, and AC & DC drives
- Knowledge of control theory, automation and analog & digital communications
- Familiar with standard Manufacturing concepts, practices, and procedure
General knowledge/skills (entry, intermediate, advanced)
- Intermediate organizational skills and attention to detail
- Intermediate verbal and communications skills
- Advanced problem solving skills
- Ability to multi task
- Knowledge of training delivery
- Ability to coach, lead, and mentor junior technicians
- Ability to read and concentrate via computer data entry typing and proofreading
- Must be able to climb ladders and/or stairs and walk on open grating on elevated surfaces
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, or crouch
- Frequent sitting, walking, and standing, and occasional climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, and balancing
- Frequent use of eye, hand, and finger coordination enabling the use of office machinery
- Oral and auditory capacity enabling interpersonal communication as well as communication through automated devices such as the telephone
- Required to sit, stand, walk, and use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
- Must continuously have the ability to differentiate colors precisely
- Occasionally operate business machines
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds
- BS Degree in Engineering (Electrical Preferred)
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience in an industrial environment. Continuous process experiencepreferred.