Job ID 3031519
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Mechanical BID Design Team in San Diego has an opening for a Specialist Controls Engineer. Our charter is the development of strategic technology and components for the HP Indigo product line that contribute to the analog-to-digital conversion in the commercial and photo printing industry. The team collaborates closely with our partners in Israel. This person will be responsible for working closely and collaboratively with R&D and Procurement teams in Israel and the USA to create and test innovative, high quality solutions that are designed for manufacturing and meet all performance and cost goals. As a Controls Engineer, this person will not only help develop designs and systems solutions but also the test, characterization, integration and qualification of the new solutions and products in an HP Indigo Press. This person will contribute directly to the invention and development of new types of printing solutions and products. This position requires close partnership with the Indigo Division to maintain alignment on project plans and status, and advanced knowledge and the use of controls tools, concepts, materials, processes, equipment and suppliers. This opening is for a “hands on” Mechanical Engineer with Controls experience.
SPECIFIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job includes knowledge of Mechanical Engineering and System Engineering.
Job duties include:
- Understand LEP (Liquid Electro Photography) - Indigo Technology including physics, mechanics, electrical, and material science.
- Design and execute experiments on Indigo Press and test beds using DOE, Robust Design and Root Cause concepts.
- Proficiency in Lab data acquisition and analysis tools (MatLab, JMP, etc.)
- Understanding of and direct experience with DFM and CPk analysis
- Understanding and use of problem solving and failure analysis methodology – firsthand knowledge of ATR or Lean Sigma tools is a plus
- Understanding and direct experience with productization and PLC (product life cycle)
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with counterparts in Indigo Israel
- Project management
Mechanical engineering duties:
- Perform engineering analysis, calculations, modelling for mechanical structures and in transmission and other fluidic systems
- Test and optimize systems and components for reliability and robustness systematically
- Design, fabrication and integration of components, tools, testing devices using CAD (PTC Creo Parametric)
- Establish and qualify manufacturing processes
Controls engineering duties include:
- Design & integrate complex test & measurement devices in support of scientific research.
- Devices include electromechanical control,firmware, sensors and data acquisition tools.CAD Design Experience for designing simple jig & fixtures
- CREO Parametric experience a PLUS but not must
Experience with analog & digital signals, interpreting high voltage & low voltage output from different sensors using scopes
Some industrialelectrical wiring knowledge is a plus
Some experience with 1D laser proximity sensors & accelerometers is a plusLabview & PLC programming
- Programming for short and special experiments
- Ability to pick a motor for an application
- Ability to pick a required motor drive
- Planning & execution of engineering characterization experiments to identify best engineering practices.
- Test for reliability& robustness
Knowledge of design of experiments
- Analyze experimental data using advanced statistical tools.
Matlab, JMP & Excel
- Design and execute experiments, stress testing, reliability testing, create reliability models
- Analyze consumables performance using customer data bases and statistical tools
- Qualification of changes to mechanical design using a systems data driven statistical approach
- Education: B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Physics or equivalent
- 5 or more years of experience in the following: mechanical engineering, system engineering and reliability
- Ability to travel to Israel on as-needed basis (typically 2-3 times a year)
- Ability to attend early morning meetings (7:00 AM are common each week)