Requisition Number: 36682
Scope of Position:
In this role, you will complete engineering and automation projects in our manufacturing environment. You will specify, procure and complete projects to automate production processes, improve machine controls and install machine data reporting. You will design new electrical controls systems and improve existing electrical controls systems. You will lead projects from design to implementation, including defining project scope, determining required resources, establishing equipment specifications, providing system startup services, developing processes and executing validation protocols as well as ensure compliance/improvement of quality systems in manufacturing (i.e. ISO, QSR, GMP). Additionally, you will participate in new product development and process improvement projects as a core team member or core team leader.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Lead automation upgrades on existing equipment to improve process reliability and costs.
- Work with representatives from operations, maintenance/facilities and quality engineering to support, design, develop and implement improvements to equipment and equipment controls.
- Introduce new sensors and controls and modify PLC programs or add PLCs to improve functionality of existing equipment.
- Introduce new mechanical systems to improve functionality of existing equipment.
- Work with outside automation vendors on equipment improvement projects and supervise the installation, startup, testing and debug of new or modified manufacturing equipment and controls.
- Leads capital equipment projects from concept through implementation ensuring that all performance specifications and project objectives are met on schedule and on budget.
- Develop technical specifications for automated manufacturing equipment (mechanical performance requirements, and automation and controls functionality and design).
- Prepare capital appropriations requests including analysis of existing operations, estimation of project costs, and justification of proposed actions.
- Develop bid documents for the procurement of process control systems (software and hardware) and handles vendors to ensure systems meet specifications.
- Collaborate with quality engineering to establish and execute equipment acceptance and validation protocols.
- Design and deploy sensors and PLCs as data collection systems on production process and utility equipment and link them to the Manufacturing Execution System (MES) to report process and utility output, utilization, yield, and power consumption, and gather critical to quality process data to allow engineering and SPC analysis of operations.
- In concert with manufacturing engineers and electrical controls engineer, maintain a centralized library of updated versions of controls software for all process equipment.
- Document and archive all engineering changes such as PLC programs and electrical schematics.
- Recommend and implement changes to control hardware and software versions to keep systems current and supportable.
- Perform hands-on troubleshooting and process improvements in manufacturing operations.
- Use root cause analysis to eliminate process problems.
- Assist maintenance/facility department with troubleshooting of mechanical and electrical systems.
- Provide technical support for automated mechanical systems, electrical controls, and robots.
- Train engineers and technical support personnel as needed on controls and machine operation. Support operations with controls issues.
- Ensure compliance/improvement of quality systems in manufacturing (i.e. ISO, QSR, GMP).
- Revise all necessary documentation to maintain the quality system.
- Directs the activities of internal and external resources during the completion of project work, process troubleshooting and machine improvement activities.
- Leads the work electrical and controls technicians to ensure that their work adheres to company standards, and local, state, and federal codes.
- Work as a member of the Electrical Support Team that responds manufacturing process upsets or plant systems downtime events.
- Occasionally downtime events occur during off hours, and members should respond it a timely manner.
- Limited, less than 10% domestically.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- Normal office environment within 24/7 manufacturing operation.
- Bachelors Science in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related engineering field of Automation or Controls.
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- Minimum 5+ years of experience designing and implementing automation solutions in a manufacturing environment.
- Programming PLCs, and implementing HMIs.
- Demonstrated experiencetroubleshooting, process controls, electrical equipment, PLC programs, HMI applications, sensors, valves, motors, drives VFC, motion control.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD for electrical design work.
- Experience with PLC controlled high speed automated assembly equipment with Allen-Bradley PLC.
- Demonstrated experience with Allen-Bradley Panelview Plus HMI, distributed I/O networks including, Devicenet, and Ethernet IP.
- Knowledge of automation equipment including, feeder bowls, pick & place, indexing dials, packaging machines, conveyors, ultrasonic welders, and leak testers.
Desired Experience / Qualifications / Skills:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Project.
- Experience in Project Management involving high-speed automation equipment introduction preferred.
- Experience with PLC manufacturers: Allen Bradley, Siemens, GE, Omron.
- Experience with robots used in pick and place applications, including programming robot moves, instructing positions, and troubleshooting problems.
- Experience programming and troubleshooting motions controls systems using equipment from manufactures like Allen-Bradley, Control Techniques, and Compumotor.
- Experience with injection molding machines, and extruder.