Waters Corporation is currently seeking a Controls & Automation Engineer to join our Taunton Operations Team.
As the Controls & Automation Engineer, you will be responsible for developing, implementing, and ensuring compliance in the areas of automation, controls, and electrical systems. You will be an integral part of the team providing technical expertise and project leadership to engineering, production, and maintenance teams across the site to deliver against key objectives of growth, revenue, product quality, and operational efficiencies.
You will help support a cross functional high-performance work team, including internal resources and external vendors / consultants to deliver operational and project support to our new manufacturing facility. You will also contribute to the implementation of new process control applications, process data collection systems, automation business systems (MES, LIMS, BMS, etc.), while also working closely with Operations management to establish priorities, and resolve technical problems. In addition you will execute projects on time, in scope and within budget that support operations goals and improve operational capability.
The ideal candidate will be able to thrive in a very fast paced & dynamic manufacturing environment.
- Develop and lead an automation and process control network within the company, with the intent to identify and leverage best practices, create and approve new standards or protocol for optimization, build skills and knowledge, drive standardization and continuous improvement opportunities across the network.
- Lead activities for new system design and provide required documentation for functional descriptions and training.
- Develop new industrial process controls infrastructure, automation systems, hardware layouts, networkarchitectures, software design specifications, installation standards and efficiency improvements.
- Provide leadership in knowledge transfer and implementation of approved standards and practices for IT/OT systems, including network implementation, PLC’s and field devices, and IT systems.
- Provide competency specific guidance on electrical, instrumentation, and process control systems to all operations.
- Participate in design reviews for all capital projects, including new facilities, and changes to existing processes, to support and drive project delivery and execution best practices.
- Build strong relationships with operations, technical support, facilities, and engineering functions to deliver standardized processes.
- Manage and maintain change management procedures for all controls environments across operations.
- Lead improvement efforts in reliability, quality, and capacity through process measurement, modeling and process control enhancements.
- Provide technical expertise, guidance and training to production and maintenance teams across the site.
- Lead and oversee all control system and automated systems (i.e. MES, BMS, LIMS, etc.) troubleshooting to minimize downtime and loss of production; provide technical support to 2nd and 3rd shifts in addition to weekend support as necessary.
- Manage and maintain oversight of electrical and automation minimum requirements for safety, process safety, reliability and operation requirements.
- Collaborate with the IT organization to define specifications relating to automation business systems (MES, LIMS, BMS, etc.), and align on system platforms and communication requirements.
- Interface with vendors and contractors ensuring controls specifications, requirements and infrastructures are incorporated from preliminary design through execution of projects.
- Provide leadership in troubleshooting and root cause analysis to effectively resolve issues and deliver sustainable solutions while enhancing resource capability.
- BS in Engineering with a minimum of 10 years of direct Allen-Bradley PLC and Rockwell Software HMI/SCADA PLC programming and electrical design.
- 8+ years of experience managing and supporting controls and automation, and systems integration in a cGMP, ISO 9001:2015 certified, chemical manufacturing environment.
- 5+ years of experience managing manufacturing process control applications, supporting software and databases, and ongoing process improvement efforts.
- Demonstrated knowledge of process control concepts and proven track record to develop standardized operating protocols in this competency.
- Advanced knowledge of industrial process historians focused primarily on Wonderware Historian.
- Broad knowledge of automation and electrical devices and equipment.
- Ability to produce electrical diagrams, process flow diagrams, piping and instrumentation diagrams, using AutoCAD and Microsoft Visio.
- Highly effective team member, who can work collaboratively, support a shared vision, energize others, challenge the status quo and drive change.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities to effectively develop team members and share knowledge.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills at all levels within an enterprise.
- Strong ability to manage multiple tasks given time constraints and ensure tasks are executed completely.