RAND is seeking an experienced Controller to oversee all aspects of the general ledger, Financial and Regulatory Reporting, and the Billing functions to ensure compliance with GAAP, FAR, CAS, and other government laws and regulations.
1) In conjunction with the Director, determines staff level, interviews/hires new employees, ensures appropriate training, conducts performance reviews, counsel's employees and takes appropriate disciplinary action.
2) Develops and administers objectives, operating policies and procedures, budget and strategic action plans for achieving goals.
3) Provides leadership and motivation by establishing clear expectations, communicating specific performance feedback, and giving timely and thorough performance reviews.
- Oversee daily general ledger accounting and coordinating with the transaction processing in order to prepare monthly and annual financial statement close process, including reconciliation to internal financial statements
- Oversee all aspects of RAND's compliance program, including timekeeping, to ensure adherence to company policy and governmental regulations. Ensure regulatory filings are completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Oversee all aspects of the billing and client financialreporting system, including any corrective action resulting from system audits.
4) Coordinate detailed accounting with appropriate personnel for contributions, oversee all auditor relationships, perform second level review of account reconciliations and transaction processing, maintain appropriate internal relationships with other RAND departments to ensure consistency, efficacy, and internal controls for transactions and up-to-date understanding of RAND’s business operations.
5) Routinely interpret complex regulatory literature (FAR, CAS, GAAP) and effectively communicate conclusions to senior management.
6) Manage special projects requested by management, clients and auditors.
- Thorough knowledge of PC usage, Microsoft Office and ERP Financials
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and follow through to resolve issues
- Experience with nonprofit accounting, FAR and CAS
- Experience with financial statement close, regulatory filings is required
- Able to manage effective internal/external client relationships and across the organization
- Experience with government and grant billing, desired
- Experience with DCAA or other US government auditors
- Experience working in a government contracting or large nonprofit environment
- Experience with regulatory accounting, finanacial accounting, and billing accounting
BS/BA in Accounting, Finance, or Economics required
6 years (minimum); 9 years (preferred)
5+ plus years of Supervisory experience, prior controllership preferred