The Controller/Finance Senior Manager is the leader of the corporate finance team encompassing accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, internal and external accounting systems. This position manages the various functions, projects and processes associated with internal financial operations for a company of 2000+ team members with operations in multiple states and territories. The Controller/Finance Senior Manager works closely with the Director of Finance and other key members of firm Focus Areas.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Establishes internal controls and guidelines for accounting transactions and budget preparation on a firm-wide and departmental basis.
- Oversees external billing cycle functions along with client payment portal maintenance and expansion.
- Oversees preparation of business activity reports, financial forecasts, and annual budgets.
- Oversees the production of periodic financial reports; ensures that the reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles or financial reporting standards.
- Oversees special projects relating to financial management within the organization.
- Evaluates, recommends, and implements process improvements as related to A/P, expense tracking and reimbursement, cash reconciliation, sub-contractor financial management, and other related processes.
- Participates in tax planning throughout the fiscal year along with filing annual corporate tax return with Director of Finance.
- Audits accounts to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations; coordinates with outside auditors and provides needed information for the annual external audit.
- Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal government requirements.
- Collaborates with various company project teams representing the interest and influence of Firm Services Finance across focus areas
- Actively promotes HORNE values of forward thinking, collaboration, consistency, community service and an inclusive culture to team members.
- Implements system of checks/balances within department processes along with cross-training to ensure consistency and continuity
- Manages firm treasury accounts
- Oversees specialty accounting functions related to business licensure, Puerto Rico/Virgin Island filings, government reporting, RFPs, property insurance, vendor reporting
- Performs other related duties as necessary or assigned
- Manages the accounting staff who are responsible for financial reporting, billing, collections, payroll, and budget preparation.
- Recruits and hires accounting and financial staff and conducts performance evaluations.
- Coordinates training programs for new staff and identifies training needs for current staff.
This position works primarily in the company headquarters with some mobile potential, as required by the role.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Required education and experience
- BS/BA in accounting, finance or relevant field, plus 10 years of progressive related experience
- Proven experience as Controller or similar role
- Demonstrated success leading teams of 8-10 members
- In-depth knowledge of corporate finance and accounting principles, laws and best practices
- Solid knowledge of financial analysis and forecasting
- Experience with corporate accounting for an organization that includes operations across multiple states and territories
- Outstanding technology, analytics and management experience required
- Proficient in the use of MS Office with advanced knowledge of Excel spreadsheets
- Proficiency in use and evaluation of financial management and HRIS/Payroll software (e.g. NetSuite, UKG)
- Adaptable and flexible to a changing and fast-paced work environment.
- Service minded and maturity to interact, serve, and educate diverse audiences within the firm (partners, middle management, and support staff).
- Attention to detail, accuracy, strong follow through and the ability to manage multiple priorities and deliver within deadlines
- An analytical mind with a strategic ability to solve problems
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities
Preferred education and experience
- Advanced credentials such as MBA and/or CPA are preferred
- Previous audit experience is preferred
Additional eligibility requirements
Upon acceptance of offer, must meet background screening requirements.
Work authorization/security clearance requirements
Must currently meet eligibility requirements to work in the United States.