Tennant is a recognized leader in designing, manufacturing and marketing solutions for industrial and commercial markets, with more than $820 million in annual revenues. With a vision to become a global leader in water-based sustainable cleaning and othertechnologies, Tennant creates innovative solutions, such as our ec-H2O products, that are changing the way the world cleans.
Tennant employees work to create a cleaner, safer, healthier world. Tennant is a company that cares about what it's doing, and the sustainability of its products, and works every day to develop new solutions that clean exceptionally well, but don't damage the environment. Employees of Tennant Company work with a spirit of Stewardship. Very simply, Stewardship is a filter for our actions and decision-making, as we strive to leave things in better condition than when we found them.
Tennant is currently hiring a Controller- Florock Operations in Chicago, IL. The Controller will provide financial support for the site Operations Director and Finance Director, Global Operations by acting as the internal business consultant with a focus on connecting the site performance (both financial and operational) to the overall gross margin performance of Tennant. This includes supporting the Safety, Quality, Delivery and Cost efforts of the site Operations Teams through timely compilation of metrics such as Total Rate/Hour, Inventory Turns, and Parts Shortages), as well as analysis like Short and Long-Term Capacity – people and machines, Open Order analysis, Total Productivity improvement.
- Responsible for all areas of accounting related to site manufacturing, including labor, overhead, capital investment, inventory management and related reserves. This includes the monthly close process, related entries and reconciliations and the continuous improvement of those tasks and activities.
- Responsible for all reporting and analysis of financial results related to site operations. This includes engaging the site Operations Teams to discuss the financial performance and inventory management results in a timely fashion. In addition to reporting the results, this effort should also include the identification of the primary activities that caused the results and utilization of this information to identify the activities that will drive the future forecasted financial results.
- Responsible for the preparation of monthly financial forecasts for site manufacturing. This includes engaging the Operations Teams in monthly discussions to develop the monthly forecast for the Finance Director, Global Operations. In addition to the forecasted financials, this effort should also include the identification of the activities that will drive the operational and financial results, the timing of those activities and financial results.
- Responsible for the preparation of the site manufacturing annual operating plan (AOP) and related processes, which includes collaboration with the site Operations Director and support of the Finance Director – Global Operations in the strategic planning process. In addition to the planfinancials, this effort should include the identification of the key activities such as kaizen events, capital investment, headcount requirements and productivity changes that will drive the plan results, the timing of those activities and planfinancial results and the connection to the overall strategic objectives of Global Manufacturing and Tennant.
- Responsible for inventoryfinancial management through the cycle count process, scrap management, excess & obsolete inventory analysis and inventory turns improvement for the site manufacturing. This includes engaging with the Global Cost Team on a monthly basis to analyze the impact of these activities on gross margin and balance sheet impacts.
- Responsible for engaging with the Plant Controllers (peers), business partners and financial leaders in both the Global Supply Chain and Global Manufacturing areas of Tennant to drive TCOS changes that improve the total supply chain costs of Tennant (i.e., all areas within cost of sales). The focus is on improvement for overall Tennant and not on any one specific site or metric.
- Leader for all financial process enhancements which includes the implementation of Lean Accounting methodologies, financial continuous improvement activities and participation in site manufacturing kaizen events and a link of those activities to the financial results of the site.
- Provide support to the Global Cost Manager and Global Cost Accounting team for annual and ad hoc standard cost update process (including labor and overhead costs). This includes providing analysis of the drivers of significant changes, both operational (e.g., routing changes) and financial (e.g. changes in manufacturing costs) related to the site manufacturing, which have materially impacted the standard costs of the site specific machines.
- Provide support to the Global Cost Manager for the internal and external audit reviews (including SOX documentation & reviews) related to Cost of Sales and Inventory. Responsible for the internal controls related to the site manufacturing activities including cycle count and scrap processes.
- Provide support for the continuous improvement of Tennant IT systems and related management reporting for the manufacturing area of cost of sales. This includes engaging in SAP, Business Warehouse/Business Objects and Excel systems and management reporting enhancements.
- Responsible for engaging with the Plant Controllers (peers) around the globe to ensure consistent accounting processes, analysis andreports are in place throughout Global Manufacturing. In addition, collaboration with theother Plant Controllers (peers) to identify best practices is expected.
- Work closely with the commercialfinance organization and sales management to understand strategies, priorities, costdrivers, and benefits as related to product manufacturing anddistribution.
- Provide support to develop executive presentations for business reviews and on occasion presentfinancialresults to the business teams in quarterly analytic reviews.
People Management & Support
- This position is not responsible for any direct reports.
- Engagement with the Plant Controllers (peers) at other Operations locations.
- Support of the Finance Director, Global Operations.
- Support for the Operations Director at related site.
- Occasional support of the Finance Manager, Global Operations
- Occasional engagement with the Manager. Global Product Costing, as requested.
- Engagement with the commercial finance support team to aid in sales and margin analysis.
- Engagement with the IT Business Support Manager to drive SAP/system improvements in area of responsibility.
- Strong working relationship with other Tennant Finance team members.
- 4 yearBachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance. CPA, CMA or MBA a plus.
- Minimum of 5 years of Finance or Accounting experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work with all levels of employees within an organization.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, organize and accurately prioritize work, be detail-oriented, understand when urgency is required and use good judgment in varied situations.
- Prior experience with SAP not required, but a plus.
- Prior direct people supervision & development is not required. Experience in leading a project team is desired.
- Lean Manufacturing experience and Accounting for Lean a plus.
- High level of skill in Excel, Word and PowerPoint. High level of skill in Business Warehouse or Business Objects a plus.
- Ability to travel between 5% to 10% of available work time.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Tennant Company is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made on the basis of individual skill, ability, reliability, productivity, and other factors important to performance. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, or any other basis protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.
Nearest Major Market: Chicago
Job Segment: Accounting, ERP, Strategic Planning, SAP, CPA, Finance, Technology, Strategy