Direct all aspects of the Accounting unit/shared services environment; select, develop and evaluate personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the unit; oversee the development of financial accounting systems required to maintain reporting requirements; provide tax, insurance and other reports required by governmental regulations; manage the Accounting staff in the collection, processing, summarizing, analyzing and reporting of all accounting and financial activities of the company.
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financialreporting and general ledger structure.
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close; ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
- Manage strategic accounting and finance projects within the Accounting Department; track and report costs; take proactive measures to communicate issues on a timely basis.
- Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Participate in the development, implementation and maintenance of Accounting policies, internal controls, as well as short-and-long range planning.
- Responds to inquiries from the Director of Finance, and other finance and firm wide managers regarding financial results, special reporting requests and the like.
- Oversee the personnel, which includes selection, work allocation, training, development and problem resolution; evaluate performance and make recommendations for personnel actions; motivate, coach and mentor employees to achieve peak productivity, performance and employee engagement.
- Calculate Cost of Goods Sold on a monthly basis by utilizing program metrics.
- Prepare monthly financial statements and reports to upper management, including special reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing information; complete regulatory reports as required.
- Prepare monthly Account Analyses that support the balance sheet.
- Support Finance Director with special projects and workflow process improvements.
- Recommend and implement all internal controls for the Accounting and Finance unit.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Participate in safety training and actively comply with safety policies and practices; maintain a clean and safe workstation.
- Cobham Managers and Supervisors are committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment. They are expected to lead by example and to ensure proper safety behaviors are demonstrated by their direct reports. They are expected to maintain a work area that is free from hazards and in which the equipment functions properly. Manager and Supervisors are required to take action on any unsafe condition or safety violation of which they become aware. Managers and Supervisors are dedicated to obtaining and maintaining the Cobham goal of zero accidents and injuries.
Minimum Job Qualifications: (The following qualifications can be acquired and demonstrated through experience, education and/or vocational training as noted or as appropriate.)
- Five (5) years of related accounting experience in managing a finance and/or accounting department at a unit and in a shared services environment, including demonstrated leadership qualities; strong attention to detail; manufacturing and/cost accounting experiencerequired with focus on project accounting; Bachelor of Arts degree in Accounting or Finance, required.
- Leadership skills: ability to lead people, coach and mentor staff; ability to lead with integrity, honesty and trust; ability to deliver reliable solutions that exceed expectations; ability to act with energy, passion and responsibility; ability to collaborate to leverage and align all elements of the Accounting department; ability to inspire every employee to reach his or her full potential and achieve excellence.
- Communication skills: ability to receive messages by telephone, in person, electronically and in writing; ask questions and rephrase statements to clarify meaning; ability to read and comprehend federal and state financial regulations; communicate across organizational levels; ability to read, analyze and interpret procedures or governmental regulations; ability to write routine reports and correspondence; ability to speak effectively before customers or employees; ability to communicate with quality, integrity and respect in a way that inspires others and encourages innovation and possibilities;
- Technical skills: strong and solid working knowledge accounting practice, methods and principles such as US GAAP, FAR, IFRS (preferred) and CAS; strong Microsoft Office skills, especially in Excel.
- Analytical skills: ability to deal with problems in unstructured situations; ability to review and compare data to identify inconsistencies and determine priorities;
- Math skills: ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals; ability to compute rate, ratio and percent; ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discount, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages.
- Computer skills: exposure to a networked environment using a Windows and/or Windows like interface with intermediate knowledge of the Microsoft office suite including, Outlook, Power Point, Word and Excel (excellent level); ability to use Enterprise-wide information systems such as SAP or Oracle.
- Time Management & Organizational skills: flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities and assignments; ability to maintain confidentiality; ability to prioritize tasks and meet schedules/deadlines; ability to multi-task;
- Excellence Behaviors: remain engaged, proactive and positive even in tough circumstances; own assignments and be fully accountable for their success; align actions, behaviors and conversations to what matters most; bring out the best in others and recognize the value in every person’s contributions; ability to work independently being proactive to resolve work issues or notify supervisor of resources needed; ability to coordinate with other employees and as part of a team.
Certifications and Licenses Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
- Certified Public Accountant, favorable