The Controller is responsible for directing, administering and coordinating the financial activities of the company. The Controller reports to the CFO and assumes the duties of the CFO in his absence.
- Takes an active leadership role on the senior management team.
- Plays a key role in meeting the company-wide profitability and customer satisfaction goals.
- Contributes to a work environment that fosters pride in being part of a winning team and promotes personal growth.
- Maintains personal productivity and quality standards that make possible attractive financial returns so that the company may continue to provide excellent service to customers and ensure job security and career growth for the staff.
- Maintains a positive company attitude and ensure that all employees under your supervision are aligned with the company goals.
Specific Job Functions and Duties:
The primary responsibility of the Controller is hands-on oversight of all financial aspects of the company. These are the specific areas that must be addressed in meeting that responsibility:
- Direct the preparation of short term and long range plans and budgets based on broad corporate goals and growth objectives. Effectively communicate and share those plans with the senior management team. Build consensus.
- Oversee the accounting department activities.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures.
- Coordinate all audit activity.
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of Company's financial status.
- Assist leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
- Support the CFO in engaging the board's audit and finance committees around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery.
- Oversee all capital projects; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with budgets throughout the fiscal period.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting by working closely with the bank, accounting, sales and senior management staff.
Leverage strengths of the current finance team members, help to clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals.
Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
Commitment to ongoing personal and professional development and growth in preparation for assuming the role of CFO of the organization. This development includes, but is not limited to: management and leadership skills, communication skills, technical knowledge, industry knowledge and contacts, and financial knowledge.
- Be innovative
- Think and act strategically
- Ability to build consensus and teams, and work across all levels
- Strong negotiating skills
- Strong values and ethics
- Excellently developed communication skills: listening, speaking, writing
- Ability to make and implement difficult decisions
- Serve as coach and mentor
- Be a change agent
- Position requires willingness to work a flexible schedule
- CPA is a plus
- Familiar with Monarch business and accounting systems
- Experience managing an accounting staff
- Expert Excel skills
- Experience managing the accounting activity for multiple business units
- Printing business experience a plus