The Controller is responsible for directing the organization's overall financial plans and policies, accounting practices, shareholders and the financial community in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles issued by the Financial Accounting Standards Board.
Under the supervision of the EVP of Finance and Strategic Operations, this role develops and analyzes necessary accounting and statistical data and reports while overseeing the functions of payroll, tax, treasury, budgeting, accounting and insurance activities. The controller will also interact effectively with Avant’s management team members at all levels within the organization as well as with the Parent Company’s finance and accounting leadership team.
Essential Functions of The Job
- Supervise and lead the Company’s accounting team, including involvement in interviewing, hiring and training department staff; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
- Prepare all financial reports, including income statements, balance sheets, tax returns and other reports as required. Prepares monthly narrative of financial results
- Oversee the accounting and payroll departments, annual budget activities, tax compliance processes, and required forecasting and audit functions
- Work closely with senior management on department budgeting and proactively assess expenses and provide recommendations for planning purposes
- Review reports to analyze projections of sales and profit against actual figures budgeted expenses against final totals and suggests methods of improving the planning process as required for expansion
- May be responsible for the organization’s risk management functions, including insurance
- Manage the audit process and works with selected audit firm, as required
- Optimize the handling of bank and other lender and/or depository relationships and initiates appropriate strategies to enhance cash position, as applicable
- Develop a reliable cash flow projection process (weekly and monthly) and reporting mechanism which includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs
- Assist with financial overview for company meetings including the annual budget meeting, as requested
- Develop and refine finance and accounting policies and procedures, including the company’s system of internal controls
- Develop and manage accounting department goals, objectives, and systems. Prepares, drives and executes recommendations for action and improvement.
- Work collaboratively and effectively with other departments to assist in scaling the business in a rapidly changing environment.
- Implment and lead continuous improvement efforts that will result in a more effective and efficienct organization (e.g., reducing the financial close from 8 days to 5, and further automating the payroll process).
Marginal Functions of The Job
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business or a related field
- 8+ years of relevant experience
- Minimum of 8 years of public accounting experience (Big Four preferred), or 5 years of experience as a controller with a $40M+ company
- 5 – 7 years of supervisor experience in related field
- Experience in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment
- Excellent computer skills, including expert-level skills with Microsoft Excel.
- High level of proficiency with accounting software required; experience with Sage Intacct a plus.