Chewy is seeking passionate, self-starting, problem solving Controls Systems Engineer at our Archbald, PA fulfillment center. Our Controls System Engineer is the crossroads of where the technician meets the engineer. The Control Systems Engineer (CSE) will have extensive technical experience as an industrial technician focused on automation and controls troubleshooting matched with the ability to work under pressure during downtime situations. As an Engineer, the CSE will have the mindset of a master problem solver; able to see the bigger picture, not only the problem right now, but the probable conditions farther down the road. Finally, you will be a critical component to overall facilities leadership and our safety-driven culture.
The Chewy Fulfillment Center environment is a fast-paced, dynamic operations environment. You will be working with some of the newest automation systems and equipment in our network. The CSE will be critical in laying the groundwork for Automation & Engineering in the Chewy Fulfillment Network for years to come. Throughout your tenure as a Chewy CSE you will develop new and valuable skills along with extensive experience in growing world of e-commerce fulfillment operations.
What You Will Do:
- Analyze and solve complex automation equipment challenges to provide effective control system solutions to a variety of new and existing automated process equipment while focusing on maximizing equipment reliability and operational performance of equipment such as conveyors, sortation systems, scanners, cameras, print and apply systems, and other devices and programs.
- Understand, maintain and troubleshoot material handling control systems, including PLC controllers and industrial networks such as motor control systems, servo drives, variable frequency drives, and electrical distribution systems
- Partner with FC Operations leadership, equipment vendors and parts suppliers to complete root cause analysis, formulate solutions, and coordinate solution implementation. Act as the technical consultant for Automation and Control projects inside the building
- Monitor MHE metrics and partner with maintenance/operations for system performance issues and provide analysis across all FC's
- Act as first level escalation support for the Facilities Techs/Leads, during and after business hours, troubleshooting locally and remotely and repair all hardware or controls software systems within the building
- Appropriately escalate downtime situations to vendors or Automation and Engineering Leadership for support to restore equipment operation.
- Utilize FC network support resources for guidance and assistance, and assist peers, as needed
- Train and mentor new technicians in operational procedures, including in the use of safety equipment and safety hazards
- Ensure compliance with safety and organization policies including OSHA standards and 5-S
What You Will Need:
- Three or more years of experience within an industrial controls environment which includes PLC programming, I/O, communication networks and AC, DC, single / three-phase
- Experienced with Rockwell Automation Software, Allen-Bradley RS Logix PLC software
- Experienced with Conveyors, and Sorter systems and have a detailed understanding of Process Flow of Fulfillment Centers
- Must be able to demonstrate electrical knowledge of 24v AC/DC control circuits, electrical knowledge of 120v power and control circuits, knowledge of 277v-480v power circuits.
- Must be able to wire-up and successfully operate a 3-phase motor.
- Demonstrated use of digital multimeter and functions.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret electrical, pneumatic, and plumbing schematics, along with the ability to understand and interpret mechanical and architectural drawings.
- Experience with conveyor mechanical systems (belts, drives, tracking belts, encoders)
- Must be available for 24/7 for emergency situations.
What Separates You From The Pack:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Technology, or other related engineering OR five or more years of equivalent professional or military experience.
- Experience with electrical theory, Robotics, Controls components, automated equipment
- Experience with networked VFDs (EtherNet, DeviceNet)
- Familiarity with AutoCAD or other Autodesk software to read electrical drawings and schematics