The Controls Systems Architect will be responsible for providing strategic technical vision and developing the enabling control hardware, software, and IoT connectivity for the company’s HVAC Product Roadmap. The role requires interfacing with internal and external business partners and the IT community. The person in this role will also be responsible for educating and guiding others on architectural standards, principles, methodology and trends.
As part of the system development process, the person in this role will work with embedded controls incorporating new and/or modified proprietary algorithms and techniques for implementation on proprietary hardware aimed at improving and expanding our product offering.
Duties will include providing technical assistance to other engineering teams, technical services, manufacturing, and product management. This role will involve the management of hardware, software, and IoT development resources and close collaboration with chosen solution partners in order to develop, deploy and support our HVAC product portfolio.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Architect, develop, and manage embedded control hardware and software as well as IoT services through personal technical contributions, collaboration with other engineering teams and stakeholders, and managing internal and external resources when necessary
- Engage with stakeholders and customers to elicit, elaborate, and document the full range of control and IoT product requirements
- Act as the Chief System Architect and coordinate architecture implementation and modification activities and assist in post-implementation continuous-improvement efforts to enhance performance and provide increased functionality.
- Contribute to various product roadmaps and develop enabling technology roadmaps for various our various brands while developing an underlying system architecture
- Work closely with the Product Manager to align future projects as well as any backlog to the business strategy and agree the scope of solutions.
- Engage with external contractors and business partners in order to ensure the product requirements are clearly understood, documented properly, and prioritized. Create development and ongoing support / deployment plans.
- Review and accept completed work from the development team or business partners on behalf of the stakeholders when necessary.
- Create and maintain appropriate business process models, workflows and methodologies
- Assist in the development and ongoing contracts with external partners.
- Ensure compatibility with existing hardware and software solutions, infrastructure, services, and strategic requirements / policies.
- Monitor controls systems compliance to all applicable codes and standards, making update plans when necessary
- Work closely with project managers to ensure alignment of plans with what is being delivered.
- Research and keep informed of key competing products as well as emerging technologies
- Responsible for the investigation and implementation of new technology and able to suggest new and innovative ways to apply it.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Architecting, designing and developing full stack micro services based web SaaS /PaaS applications and mobile applications which support data analytics for hardware products
- Strong working knowledge of Linux and Windows 7/10
- Strong working knowledge of C++
- Strong working knowledge of cross-platform development environments such as QT is desired
- Strong knowledge of project management and software development methodologies.
- General management skills necessary for planning, organizing and prioritizing workloads.
- Adaptability and flexibility including ability to manage multiple priorities and work under deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills; the ability to work well with people from many disciplines and with varying degrees of business and technical experience.
- Strong leadership skills; ability to provide direction, motivation and feedback to employees; achieve project objectives through the work of others.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to describe complex, highly-technical issues using simple, clear and precise language.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Required Education / Experience
- Bachelor's and/or advanced degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related field
- Experience managing remotely located external development vendors / partners in a software development environment
- Demonstrated success defining and launching excellent commercial hardware and software products
- Experience of building an internal and external development and support team
- Extensive business/industry work experience including architecture design and deployment, systems lifecycle management and infrastructure planning and operations.
- Strong advanced application development experience in a technical leadership role.