Lead Controls Engineer - PLC
O’Brien & Gere has an opening for a Lead Controls Engineer with a focus on advanced PLC programming in our Syracuse, NY, or Rochester, NY, or Charlotte, NC locations. This individual must have a strong background and current skills in factory automation and advanced manufacturing, along with the ability to mentor and train less-experienced engineers and act as a role model in their development. Must be an effective member of cross-functional project teams, taking responsibility for completion of assigned project tasks within schedule and budget, while collaborating with others to assure overall project success. Primary responsibilities include:
- Programming of Logic Controllers (PLCs): Individual should have advanced knowledge and programming experience on multiple PLC platforms, such as Rockwell, Modicon, GE, etc.
- Programming of Human-Machine Interfaces (HMIs): Individual should have experience programming HMIs on the above platforms and a thorough understanding of sound HMI design practices.
- Control Systems design: Individual must have a deep understanding of electrical principles, control systems hardware design, and machine safety standards. This position is required to lead hardware design efforts on assigned projects through collaboration with hardware design engineers and thorough checking and approval of the work of others. Hands-on experience with AutoCAD Electrical is a plus.
- Machine Control or Process Control: Individual must have extensive experience in either Machine Control or Process Control. Demonstrated experience in both areas is a plus.
- Start-up: Individual must be able to lead the start-up, troubleshooting, and acceptance testing of equipment both locally and at customer sites.
- Ability to mentor and train less-experienced engineers to perform these functions is essential, in order to minimize travel required for this role and develop talent within OBG.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Acts as a leader in implementing and promoting health and safety requirements and guidance. Coordinates safe performance of work and appropriate safety training of the team. Following the Firm’s Safety Leadership Rules of Engagement, creates an environment to enhance a safety culture.
- Define a scope for a subcontractor and coordinate the execution of the subcontracted scope.
- Profession presentation at all times, especially with clients.
- Must have strong communication skills.
- Acts as a leader to support and promote department standards for design and programming. As appropriate, works to improve existing standards.
- Regularly updates the controls portion of project plans. Works proactively with Project Managers to address issues related to project schedule, budget, or scope and develop appropriate solutions.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- B.S. in relevant engineering discipline preferred. Years of experience may offset educational requirements.
- 10+ years of experience in control system integration
- Be responsible for the financial performance of project budgets.
- Lead Project Teams of 2-5 People.
- Develop working Relationship with the other Divisions/Disciplines
We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. Equal access to programs, services and employment is available to all persons. Should an applicant require reasonable accommodation with the application or the interview process, please notify the Human Resources Department.
O'Brien & Gere is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative ActionOpens a New Window. Employer All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.