Okta’s Deal Desk isresponsible for driving large, complex, and non-standard commercialcontracts to closure by providing Sales teams with business process & policy insights as well as strategic and operational support. The team sits within the larger Business Operations organization, which supportsstrategic initiatives across Okta, and is comprised of various functions from Sales Operations to Customer Success. As a member of the broader Business Operations team, you will have the opportunity to learnabout and contribute to Okta's business from many angles, from our go-to-market strategy and launch of new products to the standardization of policies and systems to scale operations.
As the first Contracts Manager to join the Deal Desk team, you will have the opportunity to help build the commercial contracts and negotiations support function for Enterprise and Strategic accounts. This role is best suited for an experienced Contracts Manager who is passionate about understanding business issues and collaborating with others to make doing business with and within Okta as seamless as possible.
In this role, your primary function will be to strategically partner with Sales to prepare and negotiate contracts that mutually benefit Okta and its Customers. This responsibility entails:
- Overseeing the commercial contracting process in partnership with Sales and Legal teams to enable deal closure; supporting Sales in negotiations planning; collecting relevant approvals from internal stakeholder for key contract terms; ensuring timely handoffs of contracts to otherinternal partners and customers
- Maintaining a holistic view of a deal throughout contract negotiations; driving internal stakeholder discussions and alignment on customer concerns or key business issues that arise during negotiations
- Participating in and/or leading contract negotiations with customers (i.e., renegotiations, extensions, terminations and new business)
- Advising Account Executives on contract objection-handling techniques, alternative contract options, and value propositioning to help close deals; responding to customer and internal stakeholder questions about key contract terms
- Building a strong partnership with the Legal team and escalating legal matters as necessary
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams to develop a robust fallbacks bank and contracting best practices; identifying process improvement and sales training opportunities
General Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strong working knowledge of applicable commercial legal principles and able to work on diverse contractual issues simultaneously from inception to completion. Experience negotiating a broad range of legal issues that arise in the context of commercial transactions (e.g. indemnification, limitation of liability, confidentiality, SLAs)
- Knowledge of Data Security and Data Privacy terms is a plus
- Adept in contract analysis, including process-driven compliance to align with internal finance policies and SOX
- Willingness to be a team player and collaborate with Deal Desk teammates and otherinternal teams on ad hoc projects
- Ensure all non-standard commercial terms are reviewed, approved, and properly documented in Salesforce and Apttus
- Identify deal trends and drive efforts to categorize historical contracting and deal structuring trends based on sales segment or industry vertical, etc.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Minimum of 8years directly supporting a Sales team, with 2 years of hands-on experience in drafting and negotiating software licensing/SaaS customer agreements with Fortune 1000 companies
- Experience working cross-functionally with Sales, Finance, Legal in executing contracts
- Familiarity with SaaS subscription models, pricing, and revenue recognition
- Able to communicate effectively with various audiences ranging from Customers to Account Executives to C-level
- Demonstrated project managementexperience and/or participation in process improvement efforts
- Comfortable operating under pressure/with sense of urgency
- Strong research, analytical, and problem-solving abilities
- Experience in Salesforcerequired; experience in Apttus and other sales productivity tools preferred
- Bachelors degree; pre-law or Paralegal studies a plus.