L3 Technologies - Advanced Laser Systems Technology (ALST) is a world leader in the development and production of advanced laser rangefinders, designators, targeting systems and components. Based in Orlando, FL, ALST supports all branches of the United States Military, allied nations, OEM customers, border security and development labs.
The primary role of the Continuous Improvement/Supplier Quality (CI/SQ) Engineer is to drive a culture of improvement across the division both internally and across the supplier base to support attainment of strategic division business goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The CI/SQ Engineer has a high level of technical expertise and skill, which is used to plan, optimize, identify Root Cause and Corrective Action, identify, collect and analyze Quality Metrics, diagnose business issues and put plans in place to address them via Kaizenevents or other means establishing robust Business Management Processes across the Division that fit the divisionalbusiness model to drive efficiency and effectiveness. The candidate will also beresponsible for developing a CI Roadmap that aligns to L3's corporate and Segment goals, is appropriate for the maturity of the division but also defines stretch goals that will drive behaviors. Included functions and duties are:
- Develop and drive a continuous improvement roadmap
- Partner with functions to identify and capture process improvement opportunities
- Participate as a member of Division's Continuous Improvement team driving results throughout the Division
- Identifying, training, coaching, and mentoring Green Belt (GB) and Black Belt (BB) candidate personnel through projects to ensure delivery is in line with the SGD.
- Facilitate continuous improvement events
- Drive efforts to identify and coordinate the planning for Kaizen events and projects; including objectives, root cause analysis, tool identification and team structure
- Ensure follow up actions are addressed from continuous improvement events
- Make effective decisions that drive Division performance
- Develop training material as required to support continuous improvement activities
- Own facilitation of monthly Operations and Strategic Goal Deployment reviews
- Implement and/or support an internal Quality Metrics system and provide monthly reports showing current status, positive/negative trends, and plans for implementing corrective actions.
- Partner with Design Engineering early in the development phase to identify critical dimensions, tolerances, and processes and assure documentation released to the supply base reflects same.
- Partner with Procurement to identify suppliers with the required quality capabilities to meet critical dimensions, tolerances, provide special processes.
- Support Procurement in managing the supply base by maintaining supplier quality ratings.
- Partner with Corporate Quality to develop a robust supplier certification program to assure the supply base possesses and maintains the required quality system capability, and perform the associated audits.
- Develop personnel for succession planning in the CI role
- Manage budgets & expenses for Strategic Initiatives, L365 Continuous Improvement at Division Level
- Collaborate with Manufacturing Engineering, Design Engineering, Quality Inspection and Manufacturing Operations to identify root cause of material failures and work with suppliers to implement long term, sustainable corrective actions.
- Proactively assess outside suppliers to identify potential failure modes and assist the suppliers implement robust mitigations.
- Regularly facilitate and coordinate the evaluation of material provided by outside suppliers to provide meaningful metrics to the Operations, Engineering and Procurement teams and identify key areas of improvement using the data collected.
- Coordinate with outside suppliers to assess their measuring capabilities and facilitate measurement and inspection programs.
- Ensure Quality is built into all new materials provided by outside suppliers through the use of appropriate controls and processes.
- Ensure Engineering and Manufacturing specifications and requirements are reviewed for compliance and completeness before being shared with outside suppliers.
- Guide cross functional teams in the implementation of continuous improvement activities, reducing waste and non-value added activities by utilizing Lean Six Sigma principles.
- Develop and/or support implementation of statistical process control where applicable across division products and processes.
- Institute, collect and analyze statistical metrics that monitor and determine supplier adequacy.
- Identify faults, investigate production problems and institute corrective action quickly and efficiently through the use of the RCCA process.
- Institute, monitor, analyze and report to upper management the results of a Continual Improvement Program.
- Develop training programs and provide training on process and assemblies.
- Promote and support Lean cultural developmental through coaching, training, and facilitating.
- Chair the Material Review Board and disposition material supplied by outside suppliers.
- Design/Certify, as required, new tools, optical benches and equipment to meet changing production/material needs and new products.
- Provide input to product engineers to improve the manufacturability/reliability and procurement capability of new and existing products.
- Monitor and report supplier performance metrics.
- Provide estimates for new products including capital expenditures, process development labor and materials, setup and changeover labor, standard labor hours, lead time, and throughput.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree in an Engineering, Quality or Science discipline, from an accredited university; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Advanced degreepreferred.
- 5+ years continuous improvement experience 5+ years of experience in quality engineering, process design, development and testing of optical, electro-optical and opto-mechanical components and systems.
- 3-5 years experience with Supplier Quality including executing supplier certification audits.
- Lean/Six Sigma Black Belt with Master Black Belt a plus
- ISO9001:2015 Lead Auditor certification a plus