Owens-Illinois, Inc. (NYSE: OI) is the world's largest glass container manufacturer and preferred partner for many of the world's leading food and beverage brands. The Company had revenues of $6.9 billion in 2017 and employs more than 26,500 people at 78 plants in 23 countries. With global headquarters in Perrysburg, Ohio, O-I delivers safe, sustainable, pure, iconic, brand-building glass packaging to a growing global marketplace.
We are currently seeking a Continuous Improvement Manager to join our team at our Portland, OR plant.
This Continuous Improvement position is accountable for identifying and completing projects and key initiatives through the use of Lean, Six Sigma, and Project Management process improvement methodologies. Working with senior leadership, managers, supervisors, engineering and quality teams to ensure the Continuous Improvement program is deployed effectively ensuring initialization of continuous improvement systems and tools are used and sustained to accelerate business improvement initiatives. They will work closely with the Regional Continuous Improvement leader to identify and drive Lean and Six Sigma initiatives that result in performance and customer satisfaction improvement.
- Develop continuous improvement – lean manufacturing and Six Sigma methodologies in the day to day operations
- Facilitate process improvement teams and provide counsel and assistance to the project team leaders with respect to facilitation techniques, quality systems, continual improvement, people development and safety improvement.
- Assist in the facilitation of Manufacturing Fundamentals and other, similar, key programs
- Lead workshops resulting in tangible key performance indicator improvements
- Deploy the appropriate People / Safety / Quality / Cost / Delivery / Productivity metrics and management routines at all levels of the organization
- Contribute to strategic planning at the plant level
- Act as a change agent (leader) to instill a Problem Solving and Continuous Improvement culture on site and in related areas of the company
- Ensure through audits that tools are appropriately and effectively used
- Develop and maintain the site’s annual 12-months rolling lean implementation plan based on the strategic plan
- Develop, manage, and report progress of the lean deployment plan with site management (based on current and future state Value Stream Maps, site performance improvement targets, and Group /Business standards, policies and best practices)
- Support site management in its strategic planning process and its implementation by taking ownership of relevant projects, that are a subset of the core responsibilities, and by taking a leading role in other programs; e.g. Manufacturing Fundamentals
- Contribute to the Continuous Improvement network development. Ensure 2-way communication throughout the continuous improvement organization. This includes communicating project status and coordinating activities between the Regional Continuous Improvement leader and other
- Continuous Improvement leaders. Also, this includes capturing project lessons learned and submitting activity reports.
- Ensure Lean and Six Sigma principles are appropriately taken into consideration at all stages of the process improvement project
- Understand all environmental policies and significant environmental impact of job activities
- Understand all safety policies and significant safety impact of job activities
- Assist leadership in the planning, development, coordination, support, and execution of high impact (immediate and long term) improvement plans for effective and sustainable cost saving initiatives while making sure lean manufacturing and Six Sigma initiatives are aligned with customer focused metrics.
- Serve as a business change agent leading process improvement initiatives, process redesign activities/projects which will enable the organization to reach the next level of world class operations by implementing continuous improvement-lean manufacturing practices throughout the plant
- Work with local financial representative to validate project justification and success when necessary.
- Promote the use of metrics and data to drive project focus.
SCOPE AND IMPACT
This job will be the primary resource of Lean and Six Sigma expertise in the local plant and will lead cross-functional teams through the change process by implementation of lean culture, principles, and tools. The candidate will align with the Regional Continuous Improvement Sr. Leader develop consistency in culture, principles, and tools. The improvements will improve the plants ability to meet customer expectations, improve quality, and reduce cost.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (Business or Engineering preferred)
- Advanced degree a plus
- Minimum three years of project facilitation experience
- Lean manufacturing experience
- Lean deployment experiencepreferred
- Six Sigma Green Belt certification required and Black Belt preferred
- Clear practical and hands-on orientation
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; knowledge and ability to train on methodologies at all levels of the organization
- Strategic thinker, with clear vision and direction of change management
- Strong facilitation and interpersonal communication
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Proven ability to coach, mentor, and energize team members
- Deployment of a lean culture: organization, policy deployment, management routines, management control, behavior and visual management
- A demonstrated understanding of Lean principles such as Value Stream Mapping, Just-In-Time, Demand Flow, Single Piece Flow, Continuous Improvement Process, Kaizen, SPC, Six Sigma and Communication Tools, and Statistical Problem Solving
- Thorough understanding of lean tools such as standardized work, 5S, SMED, TPM, Kanban, MIFA, Error Proofing and etc.
- Thorough understanding of the DMAIC methodology Analytical skills including key statistical methods commonly used in Six Sigma
This position will report directly to the Plant Manager with a dotted line to the Regional Manufacturing Excellence Senior Leader.
10-15% for regional quarterly meetings, training, and etc.
Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations.
Must be authorized to work in the U.S. on a full-time basis.
WHAT WE OFFER:
Opportunity for future growth and advancement
Generous, Award-winning 401(k) plan w/ employer contribution & match
Comprehensive benefits package
Relaxed and contemporary dress code
Education Assistance program
Adoption Assistance program
and much more…