Provide the necessary environmental, health and safety skills and leadership to the plant to achieve optimal levels of safety, quality, productivity and delivery to assure internal and external customer satisfaction.
Provide leadership, training and resources for continuous improvement to achieve optimal levels of safety, quality, productivity and delivery to assure internal and external customer satisfaction.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
This is a senior level position, which represents the attainment of specialized knowledge in breadth and depth. Understands advanced concepts within professional discipline. Applies knowledge and experience to complex situations. Recommends solutions to complex issues. Performs independently and uses experience to guide actions. Mentors less experienced colleagues.
- Support the Company’s mission, vision, values and goals in the performance of daily activities.
- Lead all plant environmental, health and safety compliance and management system functions and activities. Maintain communications with Corporate Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) colleagues.
- Provide prioritized direction and leadership to ensure a safe work environment for all colleagues consistent with Tower’s business plan objectives while assisting senior plant leadership in defining and communicating clear responsibilities for environmental, health and safety performance requirements. Support the plant process for holding colleagues accountable for their performance.
- Minimize safety incidents through implementation of proactive and innovative programs.
- Develop and lead initiatives to assess and minimize workplace risks and work with Supervisors, Managers and colleagues to integrate EH&S into daily work activities.
- Systematically develop and implement strategic efforts to reduce work related injuries and illnesses (e.g. ergonomic process, layered process auditing, behavior based safety process)
- Develop and deliver training and/or training tools on all relevant internal EH&S initiatives and regulatory requirements Provides assistance and guidance to plant supervision to identify and correct workplace hazards consistent with company and regulatory requirements.
- Lead, conduct and/or manage EH&S management system and compliance audits to ensure compliance with internal requirements as well as Federal, state, and local safety and environmental regulations
- Support the plant’s layered process audit system and participate is such audits.
- Support the corporate EH&S audit process by participating in plant EH&S audits at other Tower North American Operations.
- Responsible for organizing and supporting the plant safety committee.
- Ensure compliance with all company and federal/state/local environmental and safety programs, industrial hygiene practices, policies, and procedures through inspections, investigations, training & development.
- Maintains records on regulatory and non-regulatory health and safety inspections and correspondences. Responsible for completing OSHA recordkeeping requirements and federal/state mandated filings.
- Lead environmental compliance activities including, but not limited to: compiling emissions inventories, assisting in preparing and submitting permit certifications and other required compliance reports, permit applications, preparation and strategy, organizing and participating in emissions monitoring activities, reviewing and reporting emissions data, general training, coordinating responses to regulatory agency requests and enforcement actions with Corporate EH&S. Interface with federal, state, and local environmental agencies on plant EH&S issues.
- Lead the ISO 14000 process and enhance the environmental management system to drive environmental stewardship initiatives through implementation of recycling and pollution prevention projects
- Guide and lead activities to implement change in design of machinery and equipment and work methods to provide for ergonomic improvements for the operators.
- Assist supervisors and colleagues in preparing incident reports, in the identification of root causes and the implementation of corrective actions.
- Coordinate and/or support the injury management process including, but not limited to, incident investigation, medical management, return to work and workers' compensation claims management.
- Assist with plant activities to achieve quality, productivity and cost reduction goals.
- Assure all safety devices are properly in place and utilized and verify individual usage of personal protective equipment (PPE) by all the work team.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with all levels of the organization.
- Support and maintain plant wide high standards for housekeeping.
- Adherence to all company policies and procedures (ex. Quality Policy Manual, Colleague Handbook, Level II procedures, etc.)
- Assist with plant activities towards achieving customer awards and Quality registrations (ex. TS 16949/ISO14001,)
- Develop and drive the development of departmental strategic goals and identify and track key measurable to support the department goals.
- Designs, develops and implements cost reduction plans to improve competitiveness and operational excellence.
- Designs, develops and implements process improvement initiatives and activities throughout the plant to improve competitiveness and operational excellence.
- Review and measure manufacturing methods, technology application and workflow processes and apply lean/continuous improvement application skills.
- Responsible for working with the leadership team to plan, execute, monitor and continuously improve plant and corporate objectives.
- Provide support and guidance to all departments in the application of lean/continuous improvement manufacturing techniques.
- Monitor the effectiveness of the Tower Automotive Production System, anticipate problems, implement corrective action and develop adjustments to the system.
- Develop, implement and monitor verification methods to ensure team members are gaining knowledge from the training and that the continuous improvement activities are sustainable long term.
- Track, monitor and implement required improvement activities related to business plan, goals, issues, etc.
- Direct and drive the utilization of problem solving methods for related plant and customer issues.
- Assist with plant activities to achieve customer cost reductions goals.
- Provide active leadership role in meeting / exceeding customer expectations in all related areas.
- Utilize teamwork to develop plant synergy.
Reports directly to the Plant Manager. Interfaces on a frequent basis with all plant salaried and hourly colleagues and corporate EH&S.
- Provides leadership on EH&S issues to colleagues in the plant.
- Ability to identify, select, train and coach management talent.
- Provides model behavior to demonstrate corporate values.
- Bachelors Degree in a safety related field or environmental science, or equivalent experience. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of six (6) or more years experience in a similar role within a plant environment.
- Safety, safety related, or Environmental Professional Certification preferred.
- Specific knowledge in several environmental, health and safety processes and practices (OSHA) and state requirements, ergonomics, ISO 14001, etc.) Solid background in ergonomics
- Experience with wastewater processing a plus.
- Specialized knowledge and the ability to train and mentor others in formal problem solving techniques such as Kaizen, value stream mapping, JIT synchronous, SMED quick die change, etc.
- Demonstrated experience in applying lean manufacturing concepts.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Strong problem resolution skills, along with customer service and team orientation skills.
- Proven leadership ability and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software and ability to learn internal computer systems.
- Ability to read and write in English and to perform mathematical calculations.
Tracking Code 5239