Basic Function: The Continuous Improvement (CI) Engineer works with Site Leadership by leading continuous improvement activities. Reviews and provides solutions to resolve safety, quality, cost, and throughput issues. Verifies standard work procedures are being followed exactly (steps and time) and corrects issues with standard work. The CI Engineer will be responsible for the successful identification, development, and execution of projects to drive improvement in process metrics, targeted financial benefits, and achieve company goals. This includes identifying manufacturing needs, defining scope, measuring and reporting progress on all active projects. In addition, they will be responsible for training and educating associates, and teams, on innovative thinking and questioning of established practices.
- Responsible for the successful development and execution of specific OPEX/Lean Manufacturing projects
- Leads and facilitates improvement teams across the plants– often multiple teams at one time
- Responsible for establishing teams as well as training and educating members on lean processes
- Responsible for systematic and thorough documentation of all projects, in order to share ideas across the network as well as working with finance to establish project values
- Responsible for project management and administration to include project direction, implementation, cost/benefit analysis, scheduling and resource allocation
- Responsible for all communications related to the projects (including the development of format, frequency, material and audience)
- Defines projects in regard to customer requirements utilizing tools such as: Process Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (PFMEA), process flow mapping, control plan documentation and Capability Analysis.
- Reviews, measures and proactively studies KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) in an effort to prevent substandard product that does not meet customer specifications.
- Works with Quality and Operations team to find solutions to customer complaints focusing on permanent corrective action.
- Establish and maintain monthly progress reviews in accordance with site leadership requirements
- Works with the CI Managers/Coordinators from other sites as well as the corporate headquarters to share best practices across sites
- Develops processes and systems to ensure sustainability of improvements
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, preferably Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial Engineering or related discipline
- 10+ years of experience a manufacturing environment with a process and product improvement focus or Operations Leadership in a lean production environment in a high volume production environment
- Minimum of 5 years in a Continuous Improvement role
- Certification in Lean manufacturing preferred
- In depth knowledge of formalized lean manufacturing practices and tools
- Six Sigma certification – black belt preferred
- Strong Project Management and execution skills
- Structured and organized
- Strong team player / ability to build collaborative relationships
- Strong analytical, computational, and problem solving skills
- Strong business acumen