Hanover Research is seeking a Content Marketing Director who will lead the development of content initiatives in all forms to fuel our inbound lead generation engine by attracting new clients and delighting existing ones. The ideal candidate for this role is an experienced leader who specializes in storytelling and can work with a team and across internal stakeholders to create consistent stories that are relevant to Hanover’s audiences.
The Content Marketing Director will oversee all content marketing initiatives across multiple platforms and formats to drive sales, engagement, retention, and leads. This individual is an expert in all things related to content, brand consistency, segmentation, analytics, and meaningful measurement. The position collaborates with marketing team leaders and internal stakeholders to help define both the brand story and the story as interpreted by the customer and ensure a consistent message across channels.
- Responsibilities:Maps out a content strategy that supports and extends marketing initiatives, both short-term and long-term, determining which methods work for the brand and why.
- Develops a unique, coherent vision for our brand’s content experience.
- Partners with marketing team leadership to ensure content marketing deliverables help achieve our department’s and Hanover’s business goals.
- Produces content marketing that supports an integrated marketing strategy including demand gen, inbound lead generation, paid acquisition, email marketing, social media, events, and more.
- Leverages market data to develop content themes/topics and execute a plan to develop the assets.
- Ensures all content is on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality, and tone of voice, and optimized for search and user experience for all channels of content including online, social media, email, mobile, video.
- Supervises the development of a functional content calendar across Hanover’s Education and Corporate business lines.
- Establishes a workflow for requesting, creating, editing, publishing, and retiring content.
- Establishes editorial best practices and standards including sets the standard for best practices in grammar, messaging, writing, and style.
- Develops standards, systems, and best practices for content creation, distribution, maintenance, content retrieval and content repurposing.
- Conducts ongoing tests to gauge content effectiveness by gathering data and analytics and makes recommendations based on those results.
- Conducts periodic competitive audits.
- Supervises the maintenance of content inventories and matrices.
- Supervises team of content marketing strategists and freelance writers.
- Collaborates with diverse cross functional team including marketing, graphic design, web development, social media, sales, and research.
- Qualifications:Exceedingly strong writer who sets the bar for Hanover’s writing style, tone, and voice.
- Proven editorial skills and the ability to coach excellent writing out of staff
- Proven ability to tell a story using words, images, or audio, and an understanding of how to create content that draws an audience.
- Ability to successfully leverage content marketing in a fast-growing organization to support business goals.
- Experience creating short-and long-form content assets.
- Understanding of content distribution strategies and tactics.
- Ability to translate complex concepts into compelling stories.
- Ability to lead a team, including recruitment, mentoring, and management of content staff.
- Team player who can work with diverse internal stakeholders and subject matter experts.
- Experience with creating compelling messages for different target demographics.
- Exceptional content editor who pays as much attention to correct syntax as to content strategy.
- Industry experience in Education, B2B, or B2C preferred.
Minimum Education Required:
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in marketing, PR, communications, journalism, English, creative writing, technical writing, or related fields.
10+ years of experience in marketing, public relations, or content creation in a corporate marketing department or agency
5+ years as a leader in multichannel content creation strategy
- Benefits:Starting at 18+ days PTO
- 11 observed holidays, plus an additional 2 floating days in a calendar year
- 401(K) employer matching program
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits package
- Health and wellness packages with discounts to local gym
- Annual company-wide day of service and monthly events partnering with local organizations such as KidPower, Martha’s Kitchen, DC SPCA
- Community service opportunities
- Unlimited snacks and beverages (when the office opens again)